[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm vs VAX

look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (09/19/89)

I am trying to use Procomm v2.4.2 to down-load files from a VAX785 running
BSD 4.3 UNiX here to a XT. I am using Kermit on the VAX and attempting to use
the Kermit protocol in Procomm with no success. All I get are "exchanging
parameters" and "packet resent" messages until I abort the attempt. I have
tried many combinations of what I believed to be correct set-ups. Has anyone
out there successfully used Procomm Kermit to transfer files from a VAX? I
would appreciate any comments that may help. Email or post is o.k. Thanks,

Steve Look
look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (09/20/89)

In article <42900050@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
$I am trying to use Procomm v2.4.2 to down-load files from a VAX785 running
$BSD 4.3 UNiX here to a XT. I am using Kermit on the VAX and attempting to use
$the Kermit protocol in Procomm with no success. All I get are "exchanging
$parameters" and "packet resent" messages until I abort the attempt. I have
[...]

   I've never tried picking the Kermit option after PgUp or PgDn.  The way
I use Kermit on our machine here is to put the Unix machine into kermit
server mode (our command is kermit, then at kermit's prompt you type server),
and then use Procomm Plus' Alt-K kermit server (I don't know if 2.4.2 has
this or not) to send and receive files.  Works like a charm, other than the
inherent slowness of Kermit ...

--
Stephen M. Dunn                         cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
       <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

wales@gidday.enet.dec.com (David Wales) (09/21/89)

In article <42900050@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes...

}Has anyone out there successfully used Procomm Kermit to transfer files from a
}VAX? I would appreciate any comments that may help. Email or post is o.k.

Yes, no problem although I am using Procomm Plus.  Ensure that you set the file
type to binary at the VAX end.  A better solution would be to get a hold of
Zmodem for your 785.  That is what I use now and it is much quicker than
Kermit.  If you must use kermit then try to use C-kermit which allows you to
increase the size of the packets so the overhead is not quite as high.

|                                       | Internet: wales@gidday.enet.dec.com |
|  David Wales - Sydney Australia       | DEC Easynet: gidday::wales          |
|                                       | FIDOnet:  3:712/502   (Paragon BBS) |
|  "Only 38 years 'till retirement!"    | UUCP:   ...!decwrl!gidday!wales     |
|                                       |                                     |
|  Opinions expressed are mine and      | Voice: (61) 02-868-3937 A/H         |
|  mine only!                           |        (61) 02-412-7334 B/H         |
|                                       |                                     |

fayne@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Jeffrey Fayne) (09/21/89)

In article <2517ADEA.28338@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>In article <42900050@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>$I am trying to use Procomm v2.4.2 to down-load files from a VAX785 running
>$BSD 4.3 UNiX here to a XT. I am using Kermit on the VAX and attempting to use
>$the Kermit protocol in Procomm with no success. All I get are "exchanging
>$parameters" and "packet resent" messages until I abort the attempt. I have
>[...]
>
>   I've never tried picking the Kermit option after PgUp or PgDn.  The way
>I use Kermit on our machine here is to put the Unix machine into kermit
>server mode (our command is kermit, then at kermit's prompt you type server),
>and then use Procomm Plus' Alt-K kermit server (I don't know if 2.4.2 has
>this or not) to send and receive files.  Works like a charm, other than the
>inherent slowness of Kermit ...
>
>--
>Stephen M. Dunn                         cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

    I too have had problems with the built in kermit protocol.  Since we are
using a voice over data multiplexer link to our VAX, we attributed the problems to the multiplexer port, but seeing someone else with the same problem, it
looks like Procomm's fault. What we ended up doing is to create two .BAT files,
(one for sending and one for receiving), installed those in Procomm as an
external protocol file and then used kermit.exe to do all the work.

    kermitr.bat   (receive)
---------------------------------
	kermit set port %2, set baud %1, receive %3

			Parameters passed from Procomm
		Where:  %1  =  baud rate
			%2  =  Com: port #
			%3  =  filename to receive

     kermits.bat    (send)
---------------------------------
	kermit send %1

			Parameter passed from Procomm
		Where:	%1  =  filename to send

If it flies,    \      _      /             |  Jeffrey M. Fayne
  it dies...     \   /^ ^\   /              |  Tellabs, Inc.
      ____________\_(  .  )_/____________   |  Lisle, IL  (312)-969-8800
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--        |
              *       O O       *           |  Standard Disclaimer Applies

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/21/89)

>Has anyone out there successfully used Procomm Kermit to transfer files from
>a VAX? I would appreciate any comments that may help. Email or post is o.k.

Yes.  I use procomm 2.42 with no problems.  What seems to be the trouble?

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (09/22/89)

In article <1611@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US> fayne@tellab5.UUCP (Jeffrey Fayne) writes:

>    I too have had problems with the built in kermit protocol.  Since we are
>using a voice over data multiplexer link to our VAX, we attributed the problems to the multiplexer port, but seeing someone else with the same problem, it
>looks like Procomm's fault. What we ended up doing is to create two .BAT files,

I have found the most important problem with Kermit is making sure that
both the mainframe version and procomm version are set for the same
file type - which is usually binary.  I have never seen Procomm kermit
fail except for that reason.  However, it does have the disadvantage of
limited packet size and thus using an external kermit allows faster
transfers.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (09/23/89)

The *only* way to get Procomm 2.4.2's kermit to work is to switch
to 8n1!! Even if your connection to the other system is 7e1! After
the xfer completes switch the settings back... <bleah!>
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

jeh@simpact.com (09/23/89)

In article <42900050@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>I am trying to use Procomm v2.4.2 to down-load files from a VAX785 running
>BSD 4.3 UNiX here to a XT. I am using Kermit on the VAX and attempting to use
>the Kermit protocol in Procomm with no success. All I get are "exchanging
>parameters" and "packet resent" messages until I abort the attempt. I have
>[...]

Hmmmm.  I haven't had insurmountable troubles with this, either using the
PgUp and PgDn keys OR using Server mode (Alt-K).

In each case where I have seen the messages you describe, parity has been the
culprit.  Have you checked your parity settings?  I am not a Unix person by
any means, but most of the Unix systems I've talked to like to send and
receive in 7E1 format.  But they don't seem to CHECK the incoming parity, and
many comm. programs ignore the high bit anyway, so you can run interactively all
day long with your PC set to 8N1 with no problem.  But Kermit cares, and must
be told that the host is using even (or whatever) parity.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

jwhite@garnet.berkeley.edu (Jonathan White) (09/24/89)

In article <676.251aa452@simpact.com> jeh@simpact.com writes:
>In article <42900050@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>>I am trying to use Procomm v2.4.2 to down-load files from a VAX785 running
>>BSD 4.3 UNiX here to a XT. I am using Kermit on the VAX and attempting to use
>>the Kermit protocol in Procomm with no success. All I get are "exchanging
>>parameters" and "packet resent" messages until I abort the attempt. I have
>>[...]
>
>Hmmmm.  I haven't had insurmountable troubles with this, either using the
>PgUp and PgDn keys OR using Server mode (Alt-K).
>
>In each case where I have seen the messages you describe, parity has been the
>culprit.  Have you checked your parity settings?  I am not a Unix person by
>any means, but most of the Unix systems I've talked to like to send and
>receive in 7E1 format.  But they don't seem to CHECK the incoming parity, and
>many comm. programs ignore the high bit anyway, so you can run interactively all
>day long with your PC set to 8N1 with no problem.  But Kermit cares, and must
>be told that the host is using even (or whatever) parity.

When I first started using Procomm to down load I had problems. It turned
out to be parity.

From the Kermit prompt on the UNIX machine say 'set parity even' and then
the 'send' command. using pg dn on the redieving side.

This has fixed all my problems.

Jonathan

pwilliam@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Williams) (09/25/89)

From article <[2074.1]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP>, by wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall):
>>Has anyone out there successfully used Procomm Kermit to transfer files from
>>a VAX? I would appreciate any comments that may help. Email or post is o.k.
>
> Yes.  I use procomm 2.42 with no problems.  What seems to be the trouble?

Me to using Procomm 2.4.3....

Philip

 e-mail         pwilliams@axion.bt.co.uk (...mcvax!ukc!axion!pwilliams)
 'phone         UK + 473 642770

russ@unisoft.UUCP (Russell E. Button) (09/26/89)

In article <42900050@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am trying to use Procomm v2.4.2 to down-load files from a VAX785 running
>BSD 4.3 UNiX here to a XT. I am using Kermit on the VAX and attempting to use
>the Kermit protocol in Procomm with no success. All I get are "exchanging
>parameters" and "packet resent" messages until I abort the attempt. I have
>tried many combinations of what I believed to be correct set-ups. Has anyone
>out there successfully used Procomm Kermit to transfer files from a VAX? I
>would appreciate any comments that may help. Email or post is o.k. Thanks,
>
>Steve Look
>look@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

I  had that problem for a while too.  What you have to do is set the file type
in kermit while you're on the VAX machine.  For instance if you're trying to
download a text file, then in kermit you say:

set file type text

Or if you're trying to download an executable file you say:

set file type binary

Good luck!

Russ Button

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/26/89)

>The *only* way to get Procomm 2.4.2's kermit to work is to switch
>to 8n1!! Even if your connection to the other system is 7e1! After
>the xfer completes switch the settings back... <bleah!>

Sorry.  We use the Kermit protocol in Procomm 2.4.2 whenever we have to
transfer files via X.25 (Telenet) specifically because it *can* handle E71
(other protocols barf in this environment).

Bill Kuykendall
...ddsw1!point!wek

mwallack@kean.mun.ca (10/03/89)

S71 works to connect and kermit on Procomm 2.42 here.
No other single setting does both though E71 will
connect and N81 works to kermit...