[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM-AT BIOS ROMSREFRESH

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (09/25/89)

In article <[2058.1]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP>, wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
>>in the BIOS tables (only 14 are in the tables).  I prefer not to use
>>a TSR such as Disk Manager.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have a
>
> Huh?  DM isn't a TSR, but it doesn't cover miniscribes so it won't help
> anyway.

DM is a device driver loaded through the CONFIG.SYS, so it may as well be
considered a TSR.  And it _does_ cover Miniscribe hard disks; a copy came with
my old 3650.
Bitnet: gomme@uwovax.bitnet   gomme@uwovax.uwo.ca   Internet: gomme@uwo.ca

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/26/89)

>DM is a device driver loaded through the CONFIG.SYS, so it may as well be
>considered a TSR.  And it _does_ cover Miniscribe hard disks; a copy came with

>my old 3650.

Bull hockey.  DM is a standard run of the mill program that is used to
format, partition, sysgen, etc hard disks.  DMDRVR.BIN is a device driver
that has no value whatsoever since 'DOS 3.3 became readily available.  A
device driver is not a TSR -- it's a device driver -- an interface between
'DOS and the machine architecture.

>Regarding the comment that Disk Manager isn't for Miniscribes, although
>I haven't needed to use it, the copy of Disk Manager that came with
>my Miniscribe 3053 is plainly marked "version 3.6, Manufactured for
>Miniscribe"

OK, I started this, and I was mistaken.  Every copy of DM that I have (seems
like *thousands*) is Seagate specific, because they came with Seagate
drives.  I didn't even know there *was* a commercial version of DM.

I have learned the error of my ways with regard to DM.  In addition to the
12 or so responses here, I have a mailbox full of notes from helpful souls
around the world who all have the Miniscribe version of the program.

From this I have learned 2 things: A) Ontrack has great market share, at
least in the OEM market; and B) Topics like this give *everyone* something
intelligent to say!  8*}

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (09/28/89)

In article <[2058.13]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP> wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
>>DM is a device driver loaded through the CONFIG.SYS, so it may as well be
>>considered a TSR.  And it _does_ cover Miniscribe hard disks; a copy came with
>
>>my old 3650.
>
>Bull hockey.  DM is a standard run of the mill program that is used to
>format, partition, sysgen, etc hard disks.  DMDRVR.BIN is a device driver
>that has no value whatsoever since 'DOS 3.3 became readily available.  A

Double "Bull hockey".. DMDRVR.BIN is infinitely useful with DOS 3.3, as it
allows DOS to access multiple partitions of a large hard drive (normally
DOS 3.3 can only access the boot partition).  It also allows these extended
partitions to be of any size, no limited to 32MB.  Very useful.  DOS 4.xx
comes with such support built-in around all of its bugs, so many folks have
stuck with DM & 3.3.

-Mark

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (09/30/89)

In article <280@bmers58.UUCP>, mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
> In article <[2058.13]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP> wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
> >
> DOS 3.3 can only access the boot partition).  It also allows these extended
> partitions to be of any size, no limited to 32MB.  Very useful.  DOS 4.xx

Well I personally don't like the 4K cluster size you get saddled with
using this driver for partitions greater that 64MB and even bigger
cluster sizes with larger partitions:-(

Perhaps they have found a way around the huge cluster size problem
for large disks. But the program itself seems to have its place in
dosdom.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/30/89)

>Double "Bull hockey".. DMDRVR.BIN is infinitely useful with DOS 3.3, as it
>allows DOS to access multiple partitions of a large hard drive (normally
>DOS 3.3 can only access the boot partition).  It also allows these extended
>partitions to be of any size, no limited to 32MB.  Very useful.  DOS 4.xx
>comes with such support built-in around all of its bugs, so many folks have
>stuck with DM & 3.3.

Look, I don't want to get into 'bull hockey' wars over this trivial stuff
'cuz I read this conference on my own time 'cuz I'm an addict, donchano.

But 'Triple Bull Hockey!!!!'  There.  I've expressed myself.  Get a copy of
'DOS 3.3.  It works.  Honest.  Vanilla 3.3 restricts you to 32 mb in the
first partition, but you can have whatever you want in your second or third,
or...whatever.

Compaq Dos 3.31 will let you have 512 MB in your C: drive if you like.
That's pretty limiting, I admit, but hey!  These are toy computers, right?

Have they updated DMDRVR.BIN or does it still have the limitations of 32 mb
in your primary partition and up to 255 mb in each 'write-read' partition?

(-8  What I want to know is, if it's so damn good, how come they
*give* it away?  8-)

ben@val.UUCP (Ben Thornton) (10/03/89)

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:

>Bull hockey.  DM is a standard run of the mill program that is used to
>format, partition, sysgen, etc hard disks.  DMDRVR.BIN is a device driver
>that has no value whatsoever since 'DOS 3.3 became readily available.

This is untrue also.  DMDRVR.BIN IS necessary if the hard disk parameters
do not match any of the drive table entries in your system ROM bios.

--

Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM
Video Associates Labs      uucp:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!val!ben

In article <280@bmers58.UUCP>, mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:

|  Double "Bull hockey".. DMDRVR.BIN is infinitely useful with DOS 3.3, as it
|  allows DOS to access multiple partitions of a large hard drive (normally
|  DOS 3.3 can only access the boot partition).

  RTFM. Dos 3.3 can access up to 4 partitions of up to 32MB each. There
is no restriction to the boot partition. DOS extenders allow larger
partitions, but don't get past the true limit of no more than 65535
"things" on a partition, where things are files, directories, labels,
etc. That's because DOS uses 16 bits for allocation, and you can make
the chunks bigger but not have more of them.

  Extenders are useful when a single file must be > 32MB.
that the world is flat!" - anon