[comp.sys.ibm.pc] *** HELP!!! *** Disk whine on a Seagate ST 251-1

YZKCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Yaakov Kayman) (09/28/89)

I am experiencing a whining noise from my hard disk drive. It is now
badly grating on my nerves, making it difficult to use my computer, an
AT clone. I was wondering if keeping my system *vertical* (using a system
stand) is what's causing this whine. If not, I'd appreciate hearing of
other possible causes and their remedies. I'd rather not have to discon-
nect all cables, move the computer and reconnect unless I have to, as
the computer's near a wall, in a pretty tight spot.

I'd appreciate replies via e-mail, as I don't read this group often. If
there are numerous replies, indicating a lot of interest, I'll summarize
to the group.

ADVthanksANCE,

Yaakov K.
--------
Yaakov Kayman      (212) 903-3666       City University of New York

BITNET:   YZKCU@CUNYVM        "Lucky is the shepherd, and lucky his flock
Internet: YZKCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU     about whom the wolves complain"

In article <2571YZKCU@CUNYVM>, YZKCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Yaakov Kayman) writes:
|  I am experiencing a whining noise from my hard disk drive. It is now

  Some Seagate drives have a static strap touching the end of the
spindle. Just bend this to one side a little (1/32 inch usually does it)
so it rubs on another part of the strap.

  If you don't have a strap this advice didn't cost anything, did it?
that the world is flat!" - anon

robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) (10/02/89)

In article <626@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <2571YZKCU@CUNYVM>, YZKCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Yaakov Kayman) writes:
>|  I am experiencing a whining noise from my hard disk drive. It is now
>
>  Some Seagate drives have a static strap touching the end of the
>spindle. Just bend this to one side a little (1/32 inch usually does it)
>so it rubs on another part of the strap.

The strap is there to dissipate static build-up on the spindle (and
platters, I guess).  Bending the strap stops the whine, but possibly
the strap is there for a reason?

Anyway, UPGRADING AND REPAIRING PC'S, a book everyone who reads this
newsgroup should run out and get, suggests that a drop of "silicone
rubber" on the exposed part of the strap (the side that doesn't touch
anything) will damp the vibration without affecting the strap's
operation. don't get any "silly rubber" between the strap and the
spindle.

	-- Robert
--
    Robert Plamondon
    robert@weitek.COM

unkydave@shumv1.uucp ("Dangerous" Dave) (10/03/89)

ST-251, don't worry.
    I have an old CMI hard drive that did the exact same thing for the
exact same reason as everyobne else on here has indicated (the diagnoses
I have seen so far seem right on the mark).
    You can either fix it temporarily like other people have indicated
or (if you have the tech know-how) you can remove that pesky static
ground. It really isn't needed. It's like your gall bladder...nice
to have but you can get along fine without it.

UnkyDave
bank@cslimg.ncsu.edu
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

In article <800@hemingway.WEITEK.COM>, robert@hemingway.WEITEK.COM (Robert Plamondon) writes:
|  In article <626@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|  >In article <2571YZKCU@CUNYVM>, YZKCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Yaakov Kayman) writes:
|  >|  I am experiencing a whining noise from my hard disk drive. It is now
|  >
|  >  Some Seagate drives have a static strap touching the end of the
|  >spindle. Just bend this to one side a little (1/32 inch usually does it)
|  >so it rubs on another part of the strap.
|
|  The strap is there to dissipate static build-up on the spindle (and
|  platters, I guess).  Bending the strap stops the whine, but possibly
|  the strap is there for a reason?

  No doubt, that why I was careful to say "a little" and "so it rubs on
another part of the strap." Anyone who followed my advice *as written*
will still have all the protection they ever did. No one who read what I
wrote carefully would think that I was suggesting any operation which
would interfere with the normal strap function, would one?
that the world is flat!" - anon