[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Block Cursor on PC

fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) (09/28/89)

I have a zenith 286 laptop and have difficulty seeing the underscore
cursor.  I want to make it a block.  The only way I think I can change
this is to modify the cursor_start and cursor_stop registers.

Does anyone know how to do this?  Alternatives?

Thank You,
fritz concannon
Rightime Econometrics, Inc.
uunet!timer1!fritz
Disclaimer:  Nothing I say can be construed as opinions of management

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/29/89)

In article <369@timer1.UUCP> fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) writes:
>I have a zenith 286 laptop and have difficulty seeing the underscore
>cursor.  I want to make it a block.  The only way I think I can change
>this is to modify the cursor_start and cursor_stop registers.
>Does anyone know how to do this?  Alternatives?

This is a very tricky problem.  Changing the cursor size is not
difficult perse, but many programs will change it back to square one
(pardon the pun).  Eg if you are using CED or some other
command-line editor (dosedit,...) in the background, the change will
be only temporary.

As to changing the cursor size, this is indeed done using
interrupts.  For example, Norton & Wilton, New Peter Norton
Programmer's Guige for the IBM PC and PS/2, and INTER489.ARC
information files contain more on this subjects.  And so do
innumerable books on Turbo Pascal and C.  A good one on TP is
O'Briens, Turbo Pascal, The Complete Reference, although the best
cursor routines have been embedded in Dr.Dobb's Journal.
Furthermore, if you use Turbo Pascal, you can get the procedure
CURSOR by yours truly, which will change the cursor size.  It is
contained in the /pd/ts/tspas14.arc package, which is avilable by
anynymous ftp from our site.

What one really needs here is a *RESIDENT* program that keeps on
changing the cursor size to be large.  Perhaps I should consider
writing such a beast myself, because I have this same problem with
my Zenith Z-181 laptop.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

waldman2@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Bruce Waldman) (09/30/89)

Ken Skier's cursor control program does not work with communications
programs such as Kermit (at least not satisfactorily) nor some software
packages (I think Microsoft Word).  It is supposed to work with progrms
like WordStar, but I have had a lot of trouble using it with Sidekick.
Any call to Sidekick from WordStar causes the cursor to disappear
altogether.  Ken Skier is friendly on the phone, always says it will
be no problem to fix, but never gets around to fixing it.  By the
way the address is on Mass. Ave in Lexington Mass, not Vermont.

Bruce Waldman, bw@harvarda.bitnet
               waldman2@husc4.harvard.edu

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (09/30/89)

In article <369@timer1.UUCP> fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) writes:
>I have a zenith 286 laptop and have difficulty seeing the underscore
>cursor.  I want to make it a block.  The only way I think I can change
>this is to modify the cursor_start and cursor_stop registers.
>
>Does anyone know how to do this?  Alternatives?
>

>Thank You,
>fritz concannon
>Rightime Econometrics, Inc.
>uunet!timer1!fritz
>Disclaimer:  Nothing I say can be construed as opinions of management

	I know of at least two programs that will accomplish this, and
use them all the time on my Toshiba 1200.  One that will put your cursor
to any size is included with WordPerfect, and another along the
same lines is on any number of bulliten boards, and if I remember right
is one of the PC mag utilities files.  There is also another program
that you will need to make it stick, so that the cursor won't go back to
the underline.  This is also avaliable on a lot of BBS's.

	The name of the cursor program is "cursor.com"
	The name of the program to fix the cursor's size is "stick.com"

	They are both available on the Toshiba co. BBS @ 714-837-4408

Mark Ritchie
markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu

Disclaimer: No, I have no connection to the Toshiba BBS or the progams,
I'm just a satisfied user.

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (09/30/89)

In article <369@timer1.UUCP>, fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) writes:
> I have a zenith 286 laptop and have difficulty seeing the underscore
> cursor.  I want to make it a block.  The only way I think I can change
> this is to modify the cursor_start and cursor_stop registers.

I just downloaded a program from a BBS called BLOCKCUR.ZIP.  It is a TSR
that sets the cursor to a block, then traps the BIOS calls that applications
would normally use to try and make the cursor small again.  The TSR also
resets the cursor every few seconds in case the application bypasses the
BIOS and updates the hardware registers itself.

The program seems to work well with everything I have tried.  It is
shareware with a reasonable $10.00 registration fee.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.

arnaud@cbnews.ATT.COM (alain.arnaud) (10/02/89)

In article <3573@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) writes:
>In article <369@timer1.UUCP>, fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) writes:
>> I have a zenith 286 laptop and have difficulty seeing the underscore
>> cursor.  I want to make it a block.  The only way I think I can change
>> this is to modify the cursor_start and cursor_stop registers.

For anyone who would like a block cursor routine,
mail me your email address and I'll send you a small
assembly language program to perform this function. It
requires to be assembled and linked.

In case you would like it on floppy, mail me a 5 1/4 or 3 1/2
floppy with a self addressed self stamped return mailer and
I'll send the source and the executable.

This routine set the cursor to a block on each tick of the timer.
Works with all word processors, spreadsheets, communication programs
(Kermit also) and even PC-NFS.

The block cursor is disabled when an application sets the screen
to graphics mode. The block cursor is restored when the application
exits.

Alan Arnaud (uunet!ecla!arnaud)

or

ECLA Inc
Box 596
Brookline, Ma 02146

This is only a guest account.

cwraight@lotus.com (Chris Wraight - UNIX Mktg) (10/03/89)

In article <369@timer1.UUCP> fritz@timer1.UUCP (fritz) writes:
>I have a zenith 286 laptop and have difficulty seeing the underscore
>cursor.  I want to make it a block.  The only way I think I can change
>this is to modify the cursor_start and cursor_stop registers.
>
>Does anyone know how to do this?  Alternatives?

Not to endorse a specific product, but I have used the "No Squint" program,
by Skier software, I believe.  I also have a program called cursor.com,
which I believe to be public domain.

The cursor.com takes up less than 2k.  Another source to check is PC
Magazine's PC-MAGNET, accessible via Compuserve or direct.

cw

--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chris Wraight				TEL: 617-577-8500

slimer@trsvax.UUCP (10/03/89)

  I have the source code to a program that will allow you to create any
  size cursor by simply using the arrow keys to modify an exploded view of
  a cursor. The program will modify the cursor registers after you have
  selected the type you want. All the possible cursor combinations are
  readily available.

  The source is in Assembly, so.... if you want a copy, like I've always
  done before, EMAIL ME!

*  Thank You,                           texbell!letni!rwsys!trsvax!slimer  *
*         Bill            "Judge Green is a Bell Buster!" - ComputerWorld  *
*  George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth, TX. 76102  (817) 390-2871  *