[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Getting a news feed and mail access from PC.

kstevens@qarry.enet.dec.com (Not on a REAL system) (10/02/89)

Hi
	I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'd like to get a news feed
and/or mail access to arpanet, bitnet, or whatever. I'm from Massachusetts, is
there a way to do this or a BBS setup that will allow this.

Thanks,

This is my opinion only.

Ken

unhd (Steven T Mcclure) (10/04/89)

In article <5090@shlump.nac.dec.com> unhd!uunet!seismo!ukma!uflorida!haven!decuac!shlump.nac.dec.com!qarry.enet.dec.com kstevens@qarry.enet.dec.com (Not on a REAL system) writes:

>Hi
>	I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'd like to get a news feed
>and/or mail access to arpanet, bitnet, or whatever. I'm from Massachusetts, is
>there a way to do this or a BBS setup that will allow this.
>
>Thanks,

>This is my opinion only.
>
>Ken

Me too!  Thanks in advance!

Steve

--
stm@unhd

Steven T. McClure
University of New Hampshire

msc@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (michael.s.cross) (10/04/89)

In article <5090@shlump.nac.dec.com> kstevens@qarry.enet.dec.com (Not on a REAL system) writes:

>Hi
>	I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'd like to get a news feed
>and/or mail access to arpanet, bitnet, or whatever. I'm from Massachusetts, is
>there a way to do this or a BBS setup that will allow this.

There are Public access UNIX(R) sites across the country.  There is a updated
listing (called NIXPUB) posted to comp.misc every two weeks or so.  Some of
these are free, others cost ~$50 a year.  Among other things, UseNet access
is provided at some of these sites.

My suggestion would be to "obtain" a terminal emulator program for your PC
and dialing in.  There is a 'UUPC' program around somewhere, but I don't know
the details.  I do know that there are a few Megabytes of News posted every day
and my PC wouldn't handle it very well.

Mike

--
Michael S. Cross  (msc@ihc.att.com)  (312)-982-2018
AT&T Bell Laboratories, 5555 Touhy Ave., Skokie, IL  60077