[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM Script Language

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (09/12/89)

I am stuck with a standard that says all documentation should
be done using the IBM Script language.  This is O.K. except that
I don't like using the mainframe, where it is available.
I believe there is a subset of Script that runs under PCDOS (I do not think
IBM distributes it).

I am looking for source code for a Script subset.  I need to use it
under PCDOS and under AIX.  It does not necessarily have to be free
(although that is, of course, nice).
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

bill.harnell@canremote.uucp (BILL HARNELL) (09/28/89)

kP>I believe there is a subset of Script that runs under PCDOS (I do
not
kP>think IBM distributes it).

BH>     IBM used a program (internally the last I knew of it) called
BH>     DWScript. It performs the Script function on PC-based systems
BH>     (PCs and compatibles). Perhaps you should query your IBM
BH>     marketing rep. or convince your management of the advantages
BH>     of procuring the package, heh! heh!!
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a10 #138  Thessalon, Ontario, P0R 1L0 in the Heart of Algoma

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (10/02/89)

IBM used to distribute a package called PC Script, however I believe it is
no longer available except internally.
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman        | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
| "All stressed out and | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
|  nobody to choke."    |                                         |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+

jcmorris@mbunix.mitre.org (Joseph C. Morris) (10/03/89)

In a recent article bill.harnell@canremote.uucp (BILL HARNELL) writes:
>I believe there is a subset of Script that runs under PCDOS (I do not
>think IBM distributes it).

IBM once had a product out called "Personal Computer SCRIPT" or some such
name, but I can't find it in the current INFO/SYS listing or in the most
recent yellow book.  I never tried it, but some who did suggested that you
have handy a copy of "War and Peace" or something equally long to read while
it processed your document.

There was also a program called ReadiWriter which I used for a while.  It was
interesting in that in the IBM mainframe product (called DCF) the system
uses SCRIPT primitives to define GML (Generalized Markup Languag) macros,
ReadiWriter used GML primitives to define SCRIPT macros.  As far as I know
both the product and the company have disappeared.

Joe Morris

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (10/04/89)

Re: IBM Script language

I have a copy of the product called "SCRIPT/PC" from IBM, which was one
of its "Productivity Series".

I used to use Waterloo Script and IBM's DCF on a 370, many millennia ago,
and this PC software was a not bad subset, although it had some significant
functional deficiencies.  The keyword is that I "used" to use..., and since
it's been some time ago, I cannot recall the shortcomings, other than I
remember that they were there.

The documentation I have is "First edition, January 1984".