[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Panasonic KX-P1124 summary

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (10/03/89)

  Here's the summary.  I hope nobody posted to the net;  I didn't see
  any related messages in my packet.

From: convex!langston@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Kevin Langston)

Try the word processor that comes with Microsoft Windows. It has font sizing
capability. I believe that Windows will let you get set up for the Epson LQ-xxx
or the IBM Proprinter XL24, but I don't know right off hand which will give
better results with Windows Write. I also have an 1124 and have been pretty
tickled with it. Of course it's no Imagen, but it is only $300! Let me know
if you have any luck with Write. It would probably be worth the cost of
Windos just to get that one application.
--
| From    | These opinions can be yours. Send a self addressed, whatever to
| the     | Kevin Langston @ Convex Computer Corporation, Richardson, Texas
| virtual | UUCP: {uiucdcs,attctc,sun,uunet,harvard,killer}!convex!langston
| desk of | OR: langston@convex.COM  |  disclaimer: {$#{${#{{  NO CARRIER

------

  I don't know anyone with Windows to try that trick.  I've heard bad things
  about Microsoft Write, though... (slow, tries too hard to be WYSIWYG but
  isn't, etc.)...

From: asj@j.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin Pruner)

Michael,

   I too have had the same problem with fonts on the KX-P1124.  I am using
MS Word 5.0 and the thing wouldn't change fonts or point size.  After looking
through the manual several times, I started playing around on my own.  Results,
you have to set the font and pitch to program (PGM) on the control panel.
The manual just says that PGM mode is only used for the default font and pitch
you set in the initial set-up mode.  They neglect to tell us that it is also
used if you want your programs to contol the font and pitch.  I hope this
helps.

Kevin
| Kevin E. Pruner   		| General Consultant			|
| asj@sage.cc.purdue.edu	| Purdue University Computing Center	|
| xasj@PURCCVM.BITNET		| Cary Quad W134    Ph: 49-52431	|

  It does, to an extent:  with that in PGM, I can choose from the five
  built-in fonts.  But I'm still stuck with the 9 pt. (and variants: see
  below), and the fonts they want me to have.  I guess I've just been
  spoiled by the Mac, alas...

From: <@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca@uunet.uu.net>,
        <<@hoss.unl.edu,@maccs:cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>>

   Welcome to the world of text-based programs, pal.  In text mode, the
only printers which support variable-size fonts are PostScript printers.
Other lasers, daisy wheels, dot matrices, whatever, only have certain
sizes and fonts available.

   On dot matrix printers, you generally get to choose from 5,6,10,12,15,17
and 20 cpi (some printers don't do all of these) horizontally, and from
1,2, and sometimes 4 x the standard size vertically.  That's it.

   If you want to do anything else, I'm afraid you're stuck with buying
(or otherwise coming to have) some sort of program that you feed your
text with some kind of formatting codes embedded in it (or, in the case
of PostScript, formatting codes with some kind of text embedded in them)
and which spits out a graphics-mode image to your printer.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                         cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
       <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

  So there aren't ANY programs that can just put the printer into graphics
  mode like the Mac does?  <sigh>  That's what I was afraid of.

From: Gerald Hawkins <jerry@ctnews.Convergent.COM>

The printer does in fact have other sizes, but like most dot matrix
printers, only a few.  There is a subscript size (2/3 height) and double
high, also.  WP does not know how to use them.  WP does have a hot line
to Orem Utah; if you are a registered user you can call and they will
tell you how to do what you want.  They've even sent some usenet users
custom versions for various printers.

The primary alternative is to use a graphics mode or download your own
fonts in a presumably smaller size.

I think (I've never seen it) that ALLWAYS or some similar program which
does sideways printing offers font services, too.

"	I don't want to imply I'm underpaid, but ...
	Last time I took my paycheck to the bank to be cashed, the teller
	asked me, 'How would you like that, sir, Heads, or Tails?'	"

Jerry		( jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM )
-----
  I'll ask my friend to call WordPerfect and see if they do have drivers
  for the thing now.  If they do, I'll probably shell out the dough for
  it.  (BUT, I'm waiting for 5.1.  Supposed to be lots nicer, and the same
  price!)
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@fergvax.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
BITnet:   cosx001@UNLCDC3			 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/05/89)

A side question...  I use pin-feed paper of different widths in my
Fujitsu printer.  Does the 1124 has a tractor/pin feed that can be
adjusted for the width of the paper?

Thanks.
--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334