[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 Compatibility Box & Extended Memory

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (10/04/89)

In article <586@pyuxf.UUCP> djm@pyuxf.UUCP (DENNIS) writes:

>Does anyone know if it is possible for programs running in the DOS compatibilitybox of MS OS/2 to use expanded or extended memory ?  OS/2 rejects the LIM 4.0
>driver that came with my '386SX machine.  Do I need a different driver for OS/2
>or is the use of extended memory just not possible in the compatibility box ?
>
>Thnx in advance for any advice
>
>--Dennis

No, OS/2 does not allow DOS to use more memory than is specified in
RMSIZE in config.sys. And the maximum is 640kb.
This is true for 1.1 and 1.2... now as for 2.0??? it will allow multiple
DOS boxes.
Anyway, after a while you'll dump the DOS box because you'll find yourself
using it less and less, I already have.

--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/05/89)

> Anyway, after a while you'll dump the DOS box because you'll find yourself
> using it less and less, I already have.

Not until OS/2 can run all my current applications, and without my
having to buy expensive upgrades!  (I now have more money invested
in software than in hardware.)

Gary Barrett