[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Apple II/DOS file transfer

brown@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Kyle Brown) (09/25/89)

This is a minor flame, and hopefully some helpful hints on bridging the
gap between the Apple and IBM world.

First of all -- you can transfer files between DOS and Apple ProDOS, but
with a few conditions:

1) You can only do it with 3 1/2 inch disks.
2) You can only do it with Apple's newest 3 1/2 drives.
3) You can only do it with Apple's newest version of ProDOS.

I'm sure your local Apple dealer will be able to help you out.  Now for the
minor flame -- the IWM (Integrated Woz Machine) is NOT a software solution,
but an integrated circuit developed for the Macintosh.  (Those of you who have
ever messed around with Apples know that the chip was called the IWM since
Steve Wozniak's finest hour was when he designed the (BEAUTIFUL!) Disk II
inteface)  Apple has since developed a new chip that is in the newest Macs and
(I believe) on a board for the IIe that will read and write to DOS format
disks.

Yes it is true that the Western Digital chip set can't make sense out of
the encoding scheme used on Apple floppies, but you've got to remember how
long ago (1978!) that the Disk II interface was developed.

Now back to your regularly scheduled NewsGroup ...

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (09/27/89)

  There are cards available that allow you to hook Apple II drives to a
PC. I've seen them advertised in various magazines (Computer Shopper, etc.)

						Dave Ritchie

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (10/03/89)

From article <11250099@hpldola.HP.COM>, by ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie):
>   There are cards available that allow you to hook Apple II drives to a
> PC. I've seen them advertised in various magazines (Computer Shopper, etc.)

Microsolutions sells a card that allows you existing IBM PC 5 1/4"
drive to read and write APPLE DOS/PRODOS disks.  It costs around
$125.  I have one and it works great.  If you buy their CP/M
transfer program, it will even allow you to read/write APPLE CP/M
disks.  You can call them at: 815-756-3411

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The Bit Chaser
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (10/06/89)

In article <1726@naucse.UUCP>, wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) writes:
> From article <11250099@hpldola.HP.COM>, by ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie):
> >   There are cards available that allow you to hook Apple II drives to a
> > PC. I've seen them advertised in various magazines (Computer Shopper, etc.)
> >
> Microsolutions sells a card that allows you existing IBM PC 5 1/4"
> drive to read and write APPLE DOS/PRODOS disks.  It costs around
> $125.  I have one and it works great.  If you buy their CP/M
> transfer program, it will even allow you to read/write APPLE CP/M
> disks.  You can call them at: 815-756-3411

Sure enough.  I had my doubts, but they confirmed that it uses the
existing 5 1/4" drive in the PC.    The price is up to $195 though.

Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.
UUCP:	...att!peter.fales	Naperville, IL 60566
Domain: peter.fales@att.com	work:	(312) 979-8031