[comp.sys.ibm.pc] GNU EMACS on an IBM PC/PC clone?

David_Anthony_Guevara@cup.portal.com (09/28/89)

I am posting this request for a friend, please respond via email to
him at ballin@fsd.arc.nasa.gov.  If you cannot get to his address,
send your responses to me and I will forward them to Mark.  Thanks for
your help!
=================================

Has anyone ported GNU EMACS over to the IBM PC?  We have tried to use
MicroEMACS, but the command set is somewhat different than GNU EMACS.
I could redefine the key bindings to resemble GNU, but I thought I would
check to see if GNU was available.  I have an IBM PC AT clone with 1 MB
of memory and an EGA card/monitor.  Thanks for any help you may be able
to give me!

	Mark Ballin
	Internet:  ballin@fsd.arc.nasa.gov

You may be interested in Freemacs:

Freemacs is a programmable editor.  The .EXE file is only 21K because
it only contains a language interpreter and text editor primitives.  The
bulk of the programming is done in MINT, which is a string-oriented
language.  Freemacs is yet another Emacs clone.  Emacs was first written
at MIT by Richard M. Stallman.

There are a number of Emacs clones for the PC available.  Freemacs
has two distinguishing characteristics:

o Freemacs is the only freely copyable programmable editor.  Epsilon and Brief
  are examples of commercial programmable editors.  (MicroEmacs has a macro
  language, but that doesn't mean I think it's programmable).
o Freemacs is the only IBM-PC editor that tries to be like GNU Emacs.

You may freely copy this software.  I only ask that you send improvements
back to me for incorporation into the package for the rest of us.  The
distribution is available from one or more of the following sources:

EMACS15E ARC   The executables and MINT code.
EMACS100 ARC   Zenith Z-100 version.  Requires EMACS15E.
EMACSPEL ARC   Spelling checker.
EMACSEGA ARC   A collection of EGA utilities
EMAC15ES ARC   The .ASM source.

CUHUG BBS:

(315)268-6667 - 1200/2400 8N1, 24 hrs.  File area 25.  No registration
required to download Freemacs.

Internet:

Anonymous FTP to simtel20.army.mil from PD:<MSDOS.FREEMACS>

Internet:

Anonymous FTP to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196] from
/e/freemacs

Bitnet && UUCP:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.  You may use
archive-server%sun.soe.clarkson.edu@omnigate if you are on Bitnet, or
uunet!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!archive-server if you are using UUCP.  The
mail message should consist of 'help' if you want to learn how to use
the archive server, or else if you just want to get Freemacs, then send
the following lines as a separate mail message.  If you have an unusual
return address (i.e. not Bitnet, nor Internet, nor known to uunet), use
the 'path' command to give a path relative to one of the above nets.
	send freemacs emacs15e.aa
	send freemacs emacs15e.ab
	send freemacs emacs15e.ac
	send freemacs emacs15e.ad
	send freemacs emacs15e.ae
	send freemacs emacs15e.af
The files that you will get back should be concatenated together, run
through uudecode, and thence through an unARCer such as arc or pkxarc.

Or else send $15 (copying fee) to the author.  This will assure you of the
latest version.  Please specify floppy format:
  5.25", 1.2 Meg
  5.25", 360K
  3.50", 720K

			Russell Nelson
			11 Grant St.
			Potsdam, NY 13676
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

bill@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill Frolik) (09/30/89)

> Has anyone ported GNU EMACS over to the IBM PC?  We have tried to use

Has anyone has tried porting this beast to OS/2 yet?  And, if so,
will it run in a PM window?

Bill Frolik	Hewlett-Packard Co.
hp-pcd!bill	Corvallis, Oregon

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (10/06/89)

In <NELSON.89Sep29091622@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
 (Russ Nelson) writes:

>You may be interested in Freemacs:
>
>Freemacs is a programmable editor.  The .EXE file is only 21K because
>it only contains a language interpreter and text editor primitives.  The
>bulk of the programming is done in MINT, which is a string-oriented
>language.  Freemacs is yet another Emacs clone.  Emacs was first written
>at MIT by Richard M. Stallman.
>
>There are a number of Emacs clones for the PC available.  Freemacs
>has two distinguishing characteristics:
>
>o Freemacs is the only freely copyable programmable editor.  Epsilon and Brief
>  are examples of commercial programmable editors.  (MicroEmacs has a macro
>  language, but that doesn't mean I think it's programmable).
>o Freemacs is the only IBM-PC editor that tries to be like GNU Emacs.

I believe it has *three* distinguishing characteristics.  The other is that
it has what I consider to be rather severe limitations related to the size
of the file it will edit.  On the other hand, microEMACS will edit almost
anything, but with a sub-set of the EMACS commands.  I'll take the sub-set
any day.  If Freemacs has been re-written to remove this fatal flaw, flame
away!

              roger                   rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

In article <2619@lll-lcc.UUCP> rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) writes:

   I believe [Freemacs] has *three* distinguishing characteristics.
   The other is that it has what I consider to be rather severe
   limitations related to the size of the file it will edit.  On the
   other hand, microEMACS will edit almost anything, but with a
   sub-set of the EMACS commands.  I'll take the sub-set any day.  If
   Freemacs has been re-written to remove this fatal flaw, flame away!

Nope.  I put some time into it, and decided that it wasn't worth my time.
If you really need to edit files larger than 64K, use microemacs.  If you
want a GNU Emacs compatible command set, use Freemacs.  Sorry you can't
have both...
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.
A recession now appears more than 2 years away -- John D. Mathon, 4 Oct 1989.