[comp.sys.ibm.pc] <1@ULKYVX.bitnet>

neese@adaptex.UUCP (09/26/89)

/* Written  8:27 am  May 22, 1989 by ULKYVX.BITNET!rwmira01 in adaptex:comp.sy.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "386 and 286 Unix OS's" ---------- */
I have my asbestos suit on........

I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up a
multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently (I
believe) but has no multi com boards other than the two serial cards in the
machine.  What I need is some information (product reviews) on any PC Unix,
what it needs to run, what I need to develop software, rough costs etc.

Some of the specific questions I have are:
  Whats Available?
  How much does it cost?
  Where can I get it?
  How does it work with DOS?
  Product Support
  Personal Opinions
  Etc.

Please E-Mail, I will post a summary.

Thanks in Advance
Rob
---
Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01
"Be patient, or be a patient!"  -- Anton Devious (I believe)
/* End of text from adaptex:comp.sy.ibm.pc */

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/06/89)

In article <6100015@adaptex>, neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:
> I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up a
> multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently (I

I would suggest SCO Xenix which is a solid operating system - and supports
most of the popular hardware available today.  I have been running it for
the last 2 months without a single problem.  Prior to SCO Xenix, I was running
Interactive Unix System V - and that is a bag of worms.  Xenix is tested
and works - as advertised.

--
Larry Snyder                     uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Site    4 high speed lines (PEP/HST/V96/V.42)

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (10/07/89)

In article <111049@nstar.UUCP>, larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> In article <6100015@adaptex>, neese@adaptex.UUCP writes:
> > I need some information of Unix OS's for PCs.  I am probably going to set up a
> > multi-USER system for some one.  He has a Gateway 2000 386 machine currently (I
>
> I would suggest SCO Xenix which is a solid operating system - and supports
> most of the popular hardware available today.  I have been running it for
> the last 2 months without a single problem.  Prior to SCO Xenix, I was running
> Interactive Unix System V - and that is a bag of worms.  Xenix is tested
> and works - as advertised.

I don't know what version of 386/ix you tried, but the current release is
pretty clean.  I have been using it for the past 6 months without any
problems.  I have the latest in hard disk, display adapters, serial i/o, and
ethernet networking installed without a problem.

I have ported lots of code to 386/ix without a problem, but when the code
is ported to my 2.3.2 release of Xenix there are lots of problems.  Some are
coding problems, some are compiler differences.

Just about any Xenix program will run under 386/ix so that isn't a problem.