[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Reset switch for Compaq Deskpro

ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) (10/07/89)

We have 3 Compaq DeskPro computers, an 8086, an 80286, and a 386-25.
One thing that we sorely miss is a reset switch, to keep from
powering the machine off/on when the software locks up.

Information on adding reset switch capability to standard IBM (or
clones) has been posted to the net in the past, but I have never
seen anything for Compaq machines.

Has anyone on the net successfully added a reset switch to any of the
three DeskPro models mentioned above?  If so, would you please share
how you did it?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph Carpenter
ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (10/07/89)

In article <3177@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM> ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) writes:

>We have 3 Compaq DeskPro computers, an 8086, an 80286, and a 386-25.
>One thing that we sorely miss is a reset switch, to keep from
>powering the machine off/on when the software locks up.
>
>Has anyone on the net successfully added a reset switch to any of the
>three DeskPro models mentioned above?  If so, would you please share
>how you did it?

The next-to-last pin toward the rear on the power connector is the
power-fail reset.  Pull this pin down to ground to execute a hard reset.
I have a switch hooked up in series with a 100 ohm resistor to limit
current. I drilled the dummy drive plate on my 386 and mounted a
small pushbutton flush with the cover.  You Can't brush the button
accidently but you can easily operate it.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You