[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Archive scanner from SIMTEL?

  Has anyone used the archive list scanner (simtel25.arc) which is
supposedly able to scan the archive lists (simibm.idx)? I pulled a copy
down and tried to load the list using the 'U' command, and it hung. I
tried cutting the list down, and it worked for 1000 and 2000 entries.
When I got up to 3k it went away, presumably.
	1000  9.56 sec
	2000 16.30 sec
	3000 killed after 14 min(!)

  Is this just a buggy program, or is there a trick to this? I have 4MB
memory, nothing but ANSI.SYS in memory, 578k free. Any advice other than
that the world is flat!" - anon

mkelly@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael P. Kelly) (10/08/89)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  Has anyone used the archive list scanner (simtel25.arc) which is
>supposedly able to scan the archive lists (simibm.idx)? I pulled a copy
>down and tried to load the list using the 'U' command, and it hung. I
>tried cutting the list down, and it worked for 1000 and 2000 entries.
>When I got up to 3k it went away, presumably.
>	1000  9.56 sec
>	2000 16.30 sec
>	3000 killed after 14 min(!)

>  Is this just a buggy program, or is there a trick to this? I have 4MB
>memory, nothing but ANSI.SYS in memory, 578k free. Any advice other than

	After writing the program and uploading various versions to SIMTEL20,
you are so far the only one the program will not run for.  I have offered
possible solutions and none seem to work.  It appears that each machine of
yours has at least 2MB of expanded memory.  I suggest trying the command
SET CLIPPER=E000 and then run the program again.  Clipper has been noted
for having problems with its memory management.
	This is not a buggy program and there is no trick to it.  It was
written in plain Summer 87 Clipper with no add-in .LIBs, C or ASM routines
to complicate things.  Please try running the program on a PC with no
extra memory over and above 640K and let me know if that solves your problem.
	If any one else is having any troubles with the program please
contact me at the address below.  I will eagerly try to fix any problems you
may have with the program.

-- Michael P. Kelly	mkelly@blackbird.afit.af.mil
			mkelly@galaxy.afit.af.mil
			COMPUSERVE 73747,420