[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 vs. 386SX ????

MHS108@PSUVM.BITNET (Mark Solsman) (09/26/89)

Can anyone out there help me to decide if I should get a 386 or a 386SX?
I am just a programmer who doesn't demand a whole lot- I just want to run
Unix, MS-DOS, my programming languages, Microsoft Windows, Pagemaker, and
the assorted stuff that is fun, but requires a 386. I am now confused- I
currently own an 8086 and regret spending $4000 for a new computer. However
it seems like I can upgrade with an SX for a few hundred dollars- MAYBE!
Is this really an upgrade for me?

Thanks for your time

Mark Solsman
Pennsylvania State University - Worthington Scranton Campus
MHS108@PSUVM

  The price between an SX and full 386 is getting pretty small. You may
want to consider what your time is worth. The numbers I'm seen on the
net for UNIX indicate at least 2:1 faster for a 386. You can get a 386
from someplace like Compuadd for about $2200, swap in your hard disks,
cards, etc, and sell off the 286 for some of the cost. You can also get
some pretty cheap motherboards to swap.

  I would go with the real thing. If you are going to keep it for a
while you may as well start with a current level performance. You know
the newer version of UNIX and OS/2 will need more CPU.

that the world is flat!" - anon

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/28/89)

>Can anyone out there help me to decide if I should get a 386 or a 386SX?
>I am just a programmer who doesn't demand a whole lot- I just want to run
>Unix, MS-DOS, my programming languages, Microsoft Windows, Pagemaker, and
 ^^^^
You said the 'U'-word.  Buy the 32-bit bus.  You can buy a real 386
motherboard replacement for a few hundred $$$ more than the SX, and you'll
want the extra speed almost immediately.  Once you've tasted the fruit...

Seriously, unix is a multiuser OS even when you are the only one logged in.
There are always other processes running (cron, admin stuff, gettys on
virtual terminals, etc).  And of course, who buys unix and then *doesn't*
decide to explore it's full capabilities?  Buy the 32-bit bus.

Bill Kuykendall
...ddsw1!point!wek

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (09/29/89)

>Can anyone out there help me to decide if I should get a 386 or a 386SX?

The 386SX is basically an attempt to redo the 286 correctly. The
SX makes sense only for people on a very tight budget or who have
a 286 and want to do a cheap upgrade as there are SX upgrade kits
for many 286 machines. IOW, get the real 386.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Sillicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (09/30/89)

Well, personally, I would buy the SX *unless* you plan to run Unix or
OS/2 right away or unless you plan on keeping the machine for a long time.
The reason I say to buy the SX is that a new group of 32 bit motherboards
based on the EISA bus are about to hit the market.  Finally, a *standard*
32 bit bus, with standard 32 bit SCSI controllers, high transfer rates,
etc.  As soon as those boards become the standard most of the existing
386 stuff is going to be de-valued.  I would buy something very cheap
now, hold it for 6 months, and then dump it and buy an EISA machine.
I think this approach would result in the least amount of cash out of
your pocket and you would end up with a machine that will be good for
at least two years.

Will

From article <1640021@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, by dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low):
>>Can anyone out there help me to decide if I should get a 386 or a 386SX?
>
> The 386SX is basically an attempt to redo the 286 correctly. The
> SX makes sense only for people on a very tight budget or who have
> a 286 and want to do a cheap upgrade as there are SX upgrade kits
> for many 286 machines. IOW, get the real 386.'

Personally, I consider the 386SX the perfect choice for a home system.
Especially as 20MHz SX machines with a cache become available. I
consider the 386DX in 20+MHz as a machine for at work.

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

blitter@ele.tue.nl (Blitter_stagairs_Frans) (10/02/89)

In article <1640021@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>The 386SX is basically an attempt to redo the 286 correctly. The
>SX makes sense only for people on a very tight budget or who have
>a 286 and want to do a cheap upgrade as there are SX upgrade kits
>for many 286 machines. IOW, get the real 386.

No, no, no, the 386sx is no redo of the 286. The 386 sx is a complete
80386 with only a 16 bits databus. The 'real' 386 (80386DX) already has
a bin called BS16 with which you can indicate a 16 bit transfer on the
bus. I think they grounded this input permanently on the 386SX. In
Germany (just over the border) 386SX bords are about 1100 DM ($550) and
386DX bords (20 MHz) are about 2200 DM. This price difference isn't
very much on a complete system but if you are just doing a motherboard
swap in your AT it is a considerable amount. Performance difference is
about a factor 2.

Paul Derks

peterch@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Peter Chao) (10/05/89)

In article <1640021@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>Can anyone out there help me to decide if I should get a 386 or a 386SX?
>
>The 386SX is basically an attempt to redo the 286 correctly. The
>SX makes sense only for people on a very tight budget or who have
>a 286 and want to do a cheap upgrade as there are SX upgrade kits
>for many 286 machines. IOW, get the real 386.
>
>			   Danny Low
>     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

    If you do not need more than 20MHz, then some 386SX based machines may
satisfy you.  I bought a MicroBase 386SX after "comparison shopping" for
some time.  It runs at 20MHz or 16MHz modes.  At 20MHz, it performs as
fast as any 386/20's I compared with, and actually faster than some of
them.  It certainly costed a lot less.  The applications I ran included
dBase IV, some neural net programs, and a VLSI layout editor.

       Peter S. Chao

cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) (10/08/89)

The speed difference with the SX is not
obvious now because
OS/2 and DOS do not do 32-bit I/O. When they
do, the SX will be left in the dust.