[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help on: 386 ACCELERATOR BOARDS FOR AT

phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/07/89)

Hi,

I am considering a cheap upgrade of my 12Mhz AT Compuadd. It seems that
386 boards are popular for XT's but not so much for AT's. The intel board
is actually more expensive for an AT than for an XT. I know there are a few
competitors to INTEL but they don't seem to make it in the catalogs of the
big mail order companies.
Has anybody upgraded a 10/12 Mhz AT with these? ..and observed very
substantial improvement ? Do they provide "actual" 386 performance, that is
can you do multitasking, run Window386, Desqview386 exactly as if you had a
386 system ?

Thanks,

PS: Please post answers, do not email. I think the topic could interest lots
    of AT owners with a small budget.

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (10/08/89)

> From: phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
> Date: 6 Oct 89 17:04:48 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>
> I am considering a cheap upgrade of my 12Mhz AT Compuadd. It
> seems that
> 386 boards are popular for XT's but not so much for AT's.
> The intel board
> is actually more expensive for an AT than for an XT. I know
> there are a few
> competitors to INTEL but they don't seem to make it in the
> catalogs of the
> big mail order companies.
> Has anybody upgraded a 10/12 Mhz AT with these? ..and
> observed very
> substantial improvement ? Do they provide "actual" 386
> performance, that is
> can you do multitasking, run Window386, Desqview386 exactly
> as if you had a
> 386 system ?
>
> PS: Please post answers, do not email. I think the topic
> could interest lots
> of AT owners with a small budget.
While not a particularly low budget item I upgraded an original
IBM AT (early 6 mhz model hopped up to 8 mhz) with an AOX Master
386 board.  This board costs about $1000 I think.  The performance
is very good on everything except floppy disk access.  I run
Desqview with 386Max and get true multitasking.  In order to
maximize the performance I got I also bought AOX's companion
32bit memory board which was quite expensive (about $1500 with
2mb).  You will not get quite as good a performance boost without
the memory board but it will still be a true 386 with substantially
better performance than an AT.  Oh, I got the 20mhz AOX board - I
think they have a 16mhz version for less money.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the upgrade, although for $2500
I could have bought a whole new computer...

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation!
Usenet:     Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Fidonet:    1:105/14.8

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

chrisb@escargot.UUCP (Chris Bradley) (10/11/89)

In article <5697@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>I am considering a cheap upgrade of my 12Mhz AT Compuadd. It seems that
>386 boards are popular for XT's but not so much for AT's. The intel board
>is actually more expensive for an AT than for an XT. I know there are a few
>competitors to INTEL but they don't seem to make it in the catalogs of the
>big mail order companies.
>Has anybody upgraded a 10/12 Mhz AT with these? ..and observed very
>substantial improvement ? Do they provide "actual" 386 performance, that is
>can you do multitasking, run Window386, Desqview386 exactly as if you had a
>386 system ?

I don't have any idea about the accellerator cards, but I know the Inboard
386 (Intel) works great under dos. I have one at work and run Desqview 386 with
two databases, a customer database, both of which use a LAN. My machine is
completely stocked with a Fax machine, a modem, an Aboveboard (Intel memory
boar), hard drive controller and graphics card. It has never locked up on
me or failed in any way. I use DOS 3.3.

I'm quoting my experiences with the Inboard 386. Don't think I'm biased even
though I work for Intel PCEO. :-) :-)

-->Chris

UUCP: ..tektronix!tessi!escargot!chrisb     "I didn't like the Mercury Sable,
Phone: (503) 644-3585 (Call anytime!)       So I bought a Ford Taurus instead!"

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/12/89)

In article <3615@escargot.UUCP>, chrisb@escargot.UUCP (Chris Bradley) writes:
> In article <5697@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>>I am considering a cheap upgrade of my 12Mhz AT Compuadd. It seems that
>>386 boards are popular for XT's but not so much for AT's. The intel board
>>is actually more expensive for an AT than for an XT. I know there are a few
>>competitors to INTEL but they don't seem to make it in the catalogs of the
>>big mail order companies.
>>Has anybody upgraded a 10/12 Mhz AT with these? ..and observed very
>>substantial improvement ? Do they provide "actual" 386 performance, that is
>>can you do multitasking, run Window386, Desqview386 exactly as if you had a
>>386 system ?
>
> I don't have any idea about the accellerator cards, but I know the Inboard
> 386 (Intel) works great under dos. I have one at work and run Desqview 386 with
> two databases, a customer database, both of which use a LAN. My machine is
> completely stocked with a Fax machine, a modem, an Aboveboard (Intel memory
> boar), hard drive controller and graphics card. It has never locked up on
> me or failed in any way. I use DOS 3.3.
>
> I'm quoting my experiences with the Inboard 386. Don't think I'm biased even
> though I work for Intel PCEO. :-) :-)

  The Inboard 386 for XT works fine.  I installed a few of them.  However,
its AT version is kind of expensive (around $1000).  We have bought some
386-20MHz and 386-25MHz mother boards at price range of $700 to $900 (no
cache on board of course) through mail-order.  Just by simply replace the
mother board, you have a true 386 machine.

--- Leo