[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEMM on Compaq 386/25

msc_wrak@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Robert Anthony Koyak) (10/10/89)

A colleague of mine is having problems running QEMM on his Compaq 386
Deskpro (under Compaq DOS 3.3).  When copying a large number of files
from floppy to HD, he gets a "stack overflow" error, and has to physically
reboot the machine.  Quarterdeck hasn't been very helpful, but does
acknowledge that Compaqs pose some peculiarities for QEMM (they have been
somewhat vague about what these are).

I'd appreciate hearing from netlanders who use QEMM on Compaqs.  Have
you had the same problem?  Have you found a way to work around it?

-- Bob Koyak
-- Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
-- The Johns Hopkins Univ.
-- Baltimore, MD.
-- msc_wrak@jhuvms

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/11/89)

In article <2866@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> msc_wrak@jhunix.UUCP (Robert Anthony Koyak) writes:
>A colleague of mine is having problems running QEMM on his Compaq 386
>Deskpro (under Compaq DOS 3.3).  ...

Compaq provides a similar program called CEMM which implements expanded memory
and a disk cache.  In my experience it works reliably on Compaqs.  Why fool
around?
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (10/13/89)

>>A colleague of mine is having problems running QEMM on his Compaq 386
>>Deskpro (under Compaq DOS 3.3).  ...
>
>Compaq provides a similar program called CEMM which implements expanded memo
ry
>and a disk cache.  In my experience it works reliably on Compaqs.  Why fool
>around?

Well, there's a lot of reasons to use QEMM over CEMM, actually.  It's
mandatory if you want to run Desqview or protected mode applications.

Email a description of the problem to me, along with the version numbers of
everything.  I have a bunch of machines running that configuration.

----
Bill K.