[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Connecting an IBM System 36 to a PC

jbjones@marlin.NOSC.MIL (John B. Jones) (10/12/89)

My question is, what's involved in connecting an IBM System 36 to a PC?
Can this be done with a simple emmulator, or is there a staggering sum
to be paid to a smiling IBM representative?
I was thinking this was an emmulator job, but I talked to someone who
used phrases like "we're doomed" and "it's gonna cost big money" and
"we'll never make it".
I'm interested to know the composite knowledge on this, and I also think
it would be healthy net food, since solutions would be similar with
nearly any mainframe/micro dilemma.

john
jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (10/13/89)

In article <1241@marlin.NOSC.MIL> jbjones@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (John B. Jones) writes:
>My question is, what's involved in connecting an IBM System 36 to a PC?
>Can this be done with a simple emmulator, or is there a staggering sum
>to be paid to a smiling IBM representative?
>I was thinking this was an emmulator job, but I talked to someone who
>used phrases like "we're doomed" and "it's gonna cost big money" and
>"we'll never make it".

Ain't that big a deal.  You just have to emulate a 5250 terminal
rather than a 3270 one (although it may be possible that the 36
supports 3270 terminals as well, but I don't think so).  The one
vendor who comes to mind who makes 5250 stuff is Ideassociates in
Billerica, MA (617) 663-6678; your smiling IBM rep may have products
like that as well.