[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RGB 1024x768 monitors

jonson@opus.megatek.uucp (Henrik Jonson) (10/06/89)

I'm looking for an RGB 1024x768 monitor - the 13" NEC Multisync 3D is the most
visible, in terms of advertising and seems to be in the $6xx range.
What experience have you had with it, what did you pay, from what dealer ?
What alternative is available (Sony, Seiko, ...) at what price, from whom ?
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) (10/07/89)

/-- In article <765@megatek.UUCP> by jonson@opus.UUCP (Henrik Jonson)...
| I'm looking for an RGB 1024x768 monitor - the 13" NEC Multisync 3D is the most
| visible, in terms of advertising and seems to be in the $6xx range.
| What experience have you had with it, what did you pay, from what dealer ?
| What alternative is available (Sony, Seiko, ...) at what price, from whom ?
| Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

The new Sony 1304 is very nice.  The screen size is about the same
as the 3D, but the dot pitch is finer (.25mm vs. .31 mm), which is
really noticeable when it comes to displaying text.  Also, the 3D
uses interlacing at the 1024x768 resolution, while the Sony does
non-interlacing.  I was in the market for such a monitor recently,
and I would have bought the 1304 if only the screen were a little
bigger.
--
Wu Liu -- Engineering (Graphics)        The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
UUCP:      ...!uunet!sco!wul            1700 Mission St., Suite 102

jbh@trsvax.UUCP (10/10/89)

In reference to the NEC 3D, it does display 1024x762 in interlace only. Be
aware that some display boards do not display 1024x762 in interlace. A
friend of mine bought a 3D and a Video7 VRAM board. The board will not
display interlaced. It will display 1024x762 (the board, that is), but not
interlaced. You must have a monitor that takes some tremendous bandwidth
to display 1024 in non-interlace. I guess what I am saying is make sure the
video board you use with an NEC 3D can output an interlaced signal.

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (10/13/89)

In article <216100157@trsvax> jbh@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>In reference to the NEC 3D, it does display 1024x762 in interlace
>only. Be aware that some display boards do not display 1024x762 in
>interlace. A friend of mine bought a 3D and a Video7 VRAM board.  ...
>It will display 1024x762 (the board, that is), but not interlaced. You
>must have a monitor that takes some tremendous bandwidth to display
>1024 in non-interlace.

To display 1024x768 mode non-interlaced you need at least a NEC
Multisync Plus.  (It's outside the published spec, but we run it that
way all the time, and it has no trouble syncing up on the signal.)  We
also use the Nanao 9080 and the NEC Multisync XL.

If you want to go interlaced, the new Video7 1024i is similar to the
the Video7 Fastwrite, and does 1024x768x16 interlaced.
--
Mike Van Pelt                     "I'm not a biologist, but I play one in
Headland Technology/Video 7        front of Congressional hearings."