[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CGA output on Hercules card

kemp@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Stuart R. Kemp) (10/13/89)

(I don't think this made it out the first time...)
I have seen a TSR that allows users to run a program that
expects a CGA card on a Hercules card. Does anyone know
where I can find such a program?

Replies via email please.

Thanks,
-Stuart Kemp
kemp@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (10/13/89)

In article <16256@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> kemp@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Stuart R. Kemp) writes:
>(I don't think this made it out the first time...)
>I have seen a TSR that allows users to run a program that
>expects a CGA card on a Hercules card. Does anyone know
>where I can find such a program?
>
>Replies via email please.
>
>Thanks,
>-Stuart Kemp
>kemp@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

There are actually several programs around for this purpose, some are shareware
and some are not.

The two sharewareones I have used most are:
  simcga40 or simcga41
and
  hgcibm (version 2.01, I think).

Both of these are widely available on many BBS systems. I have seen a couple of
others pop up in the last few months on a local bbs, but I don't recall their
names.

There is (or at least used to be--I haven't had any contact with them for
a long time) a company in Athens Georgia, named Athena Digital (the authors,
actually, of hgcibm) which offered a product called the Athena BIOS, which is
installed at boot time as a device driver and provides a good set of services
for cga simulation on a Herc card. They also offer, as an option, a small card
which goes into an empty slot and which they claim increases the chances that
any givenprogram will work properly with the Athena BIOS (I guess it carries
a set of registers that look like a cga, or somethingof the sort).

I read in PC Mag a year or more ago of another CGA simulation program (a commercial
program) from yet another vendor, but, sorry, I don't remember any details.

If you want to try to contact Athena Digital, drop me some mail and I will dig`
out the address/phone number for you.

Fred Smith
uunet!ginosko!cg-atla!fredex