[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for ORCAD program

jal@ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) (10/10/89)

I am looking for a Computer Aided Design program which is called
ORCAD.  It is used in Electrical Engineering.  I do not know the
name of the publisher or have a source for a retail copy.  If anyone
can provide either of these I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I program ... therefore I am.

John Lefor    	University of Rochester		Dept of E. Engineering
716-275-8265	jal@ee.rochester.edu		uunet!ur-valhalla!jal

harper@rigel.uucp (David Harper) (10/11/89)

In article <1989Oct10.162349.22207@ee.rochester.edu> jal@ee.rochester.edu writes:
>I am looking for a Computer Aided Design program which is called
>ORCAD.  It is used in Electrical Engineering.  I do not know the
>name of the publisher or have a source for a retail copy.  If anyone
>can provide either of these I would appreciate it.

	       OrCAD Systems Corporation
	       1049 S.W. Baseline Street Suite 500
	       Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
	       (503) 640-9488

They also have "local" OrCAD reps throughout the country.  The one for NY is:

	       Beta Lambda, Inc.
	       (201) 446-1100

I used it in my last job and liked it a lot.  If it weren't so expensive ($495)
I would probably buy a copy for myself, but that's a little steep for something
that I would probably only use a couple of times a year at home.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

marks@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Mark D. Salzman) (10/11/89)

In article <2011@convex.UUCP> harper@rigel.UUCP (David Harper) writes:

>	       OrCAD Systems Corporation
	< Old address & phone number deleated >

I am a registered user of OrCAD SDT and just got information saying that
they have moved. Their new info is:

	3175 N.W. Aloclek Drive
	Hillsboro, OR. 97124-7135
	Phone # (503) 690-9881

#include <std.disclaimer>

--
# Mark D. Salzman    Phone: (206) 253-5542.  #  The more complex the mind,
# Tektronix Inc., P.O. Box 3500, M/S C1-936  #  the greater the need for

mikey@shuksan.UUCP (Mike Fields) (10/12/89)

In article <1989Oct10.162349.22207@ee.rochester.edu>, jal@ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) writes:
> I am looking for a Computer Aided Design program which is called
> ORCAD.  It is used in Electrical Engineering.  I do not know the
> name of the publisher or have a source for a retail copy.  If anyone
> can provide either of these I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I program ... therefore I am.
>
> John Lefor    	University of Rochester		Dept of E. Engineering
> 716-275-8265	jal@ee.rochester.edu		uunet!ur-valhalla!jal

The ORCAD program is put out by ORCAD (strangley enough).  They are
located in Hillsbourough (sp?) Oregon.  One phone number for them is
503-640-5007.  They have an excellent product.  The schematic capture
package SDT-III is $495.  One other one you might want to look at is
OMATION's SCHEMA - it is also $495.  I just finished comparing the two
for my home system (I need to finish going over my notes) - my wife will
only let me buy one!!  Orcad is somewhat nicer to use for some things such
as when you bring a part in, it is a menu option to rotate, mirror or
create the Demorgan equiv. SCHEMA, treats these as seperate parts however,
SCHEMA has a neat front end (ala norton commander) and a very nice bit-mapped
editor for creating logo's etc like some of the paint programs.  Orcad
gives you 1 yr free support/upgrades. Omation gives you support for the
"life of the product" (whatever that is).  Both were very helpful when I
called customer support and both have a 30 day money back policy on the
products.  Orcad uses a bound book with an update manual for their system,
while Omation uses a 3 ring binder for their manuals (I prefer that).
Both companies have nice products ( I bought the SCHEMA since at the time,
it was on sale for $399 instead of the reg. price of $495).

Omation - 800-553-9119
Orcad   - 503-640-5007 (I think that is tech support- they can redirect you)

--
Mikey (yes "he likes it!")
=======================================================   Mike Fields

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/12/89)

In article <2011@convex.UUCP> harper@rigel.UUCP (David Harper) writes:
|	       OrCAD Systems Corporation
|	       1049 S.W. Baseline Street Suite 500
|	       Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
|	       (503) 640-9488

I have used both OrCAD and Schema and there seems to be a continuing
battle between them. At one time OrCAD had the overwhelming advantage
of postscript support, now Schema has it too. Now Schema has the
advantage of EMS support. OrCAD does not and thus may run out of
memory without no relief possible. For example, I can not use their
library editor while I have PC-NFS installed.

I like Schema's user interface much better. Seems more logical and
requires fewer keystrokes. However this probably varies widely from
person to person.

Schema is in Richardson TX, I believe. The prices are about the same.
--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Just say NO to the "War on Drugs".

stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach) (10/12/89)

Hello World;
In article <1989Oct10.162349.22207@ee.rochester.edu> jal@ee.rochester.edu writes:
>I am looking for a Computer Aided Design program which is called
>ORCAD.  It is used in Electrical Engineering.  I do not know the
>name of the publisher or have a source for a retail copy.  If anyone
>can provide either of these I would appreciate it.
>
>Thanks
My book says:
	OrCAD Systems Corporation
	1049 S.W. Baseline Street, Suite 500
	Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
	503-640-5007

Hope this helps.
--

Return to sender:
uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!stevel

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (10/14/89)

In article <27737@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:

> I like Schema's user interface much better. Seems more logical and
> requires fewer keystrokes. However this probably varies widely from
> person to person.
>
> Schema is in Richardson TX, I believe. The prices are about the same.

On a related note, does it do automated PC board design?  I would like to be
able to design small- to medium-scale circuits, and let the program figure
out component layout and routing.  Does either system support this?  If not,
what does?

  Eric, tinkerer-at-large

--
Eric Sheppard
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) (10/14/89)

In article <2503@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:

> On a related note, does it do automated PC board design?  I would like to be
> able to design small- to medium-scale circuits, and let the program figure
> out component layout and routing.  Does either system support this?  If not,
> what does?

I don't know about Schema, but Orcad does have an auto-routing program
available. It's extra $$, but from what I've heard its worth it.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually used it myself. This is what one of our
Technicians told me recently. We do have it on order though...

--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1