[comp.sys.ibm.pc] all

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/11/89)

Has anyone used a 50 foot keyboard and monitor extension cable for either
an EGA or Hercules monochrome monitor and AT keyboard?

I was using a serial terminal - but would much rather move the system
console since I have access to all 12 windows - plus the speed associated
with the primary console.

>Item 6070 (0 resps) by akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP on Thu 12 Oct 89 09:31
>[Larry Snyder]    Subject: all
>(5 lines)
>
>Has anyone used a 50 foot keyboard and monitor extension cable for either
>an EGA or Hercules monochrome monitor and AT keyboard?
>
>I was using a serial terminal - but would much rather move the system
>console since I have access to all 12 windows - plus the speed associated
>with the primary console.

Nothing that long...

We have made 10' cables without too many problems, but I think 50' is
pushing things.  I'd try it, but use high quality cables and make sure the
shielding is good -- especially for the monitor.  With the video you also
need to be concerned with capacitance....

It might work, it might not.  It certainly won't do anything horrible if it
doesn't, but it may give you some willies :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (10/15/89)

In article <[2534c391:6070.1]comp.ibmpc;1@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>Item 6070 (0 resps) by akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP on Thu 12 Oct 89 09:31
>>[Larry Snyder]    Subject: all
>>(5 lines)
>>
>>Has anyone used a 50 foot keyboard and monitor extension cable for either
>>an EGA or Hercules monochrome monitor and AT keyboard?

>Nothing that long...

I've seen adds for 150 Ft. Monitor/Keyboard extenders from INMAC(though I,ve
not used one myself, so I can't attest to their reliability).

As a matter of fact there was someone on the NET(misc.forsale?) selling one
a week ago. It was INMAC 903-4(or 904-3), for about a hundred $$.

Hope this helps.