[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Flight Simulator 4.0

andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Andrew Rossmann) (10/09/89)

  Microsoft recently released version 4 of Flight Simulator. It contains
several new features, such as variable weather and other air traffic. It
also has modules for 8088/86,80286 and 80386 computers.
  Unfortunately, it also appears to have 2 major bugs. The first really
only affects Tandy 1000 computers. If you select the Tandy 1000 keyboard,
it will also use the Tandy's 3-voice sound for better effects (especially
crashing!). Unfortunately, when it initializes the ports, you end up with a
high-pitched whistle that lasts even after you exit the program. I did find
a work-around, though. If you run BASIC first, it apparantly sets things up
right and Flight Simulator will work right. I start up FS with a batch
program:

basic quiet
fs4 %1

  The QUIET.BAS program consists of 1 line:

10 SYSTEM

  Another work-around is to use the standard keyboard layouts. Do NOT use
the 'function keys on top' version, though. Use the 'function keys on left'
setting. If you have the TL or SL, you should probably use the 'keys on
top' version, although you won't have the 'better' sound.

  Another major bug I found is that it does not use the startup mode
settings! If you make changes (such as setting full realism and other
stuff) and use the 'Save startup mode' command, when you re-start FS4, it
goes back to the normal startup!! The only work-around for this is to make
a separate mode that you have to manually load in.

  I should mention I have a Tandy 1000SX with a Paradise VGA+ video card.
Temporarily going back to the built-in video did NOT fix the noise problem.

  Andrew Rossmann
  andyross@ddsw1.MCS.COM

P.S. Does Tandy have a version of BASIC that supports both 3-voice sound
and EGA/VGA graphics???

kwong@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ka Chin Wong) (10/09/89)

I just saw a posting mentioning about FS 4.0.  I bought FS 3.0 not
long ago.  Will I be able to get an upgrade from Microsoft with a
cheaper price?  Does upgrade only apply to product other that games
(MSC, Word ... etc)?

Rick

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (10/10/89)

Does anyone know if there is an upgrade policy from 3.0?

+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman        | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
| "All stressed out and | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
|  nobody to choke."    |                                         |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/10/89)

> long ago.  Will I be able to get an upgrade from Microsoft with a
> cheaper price?  Does upgrade only apply to product other that games
> (MSC, Word ... etc)?

I wouldn't count on it.  I contacted Microsoft to move from FS 2.0 to
3.0  Nothing doing.  Their response was that since FS is so
inexpensive, a discounted upgrade was not in the cards.  So I ended up
going to a software store to buy it.

I just saw FS 4.0.  Am tempted to buy IT too. It offers
random weather conditions, other planes and fuel trucks moving on
the flight line, the ability to "build" one's own plane to spec,
and the capability to fly a sailplane.  If only they would have added
some more airports.  That would be the clincher convincing me to spend even
more dollars.
Gary Barrett

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/10/89)

In article <15312@netnews.upenn.edu> silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Andy Silverman) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is an upgrade policy from 3.0?

Yes, following standard Microsoft policy,
upgrades are $75.00. They'll charge your account (or cash your check) now,
and deliver the Flight Simulator (t.m.) six months later :-).

I actually called in and reported some bugs (the autopilot only completely
works in Chigago. Gee, I wonder where this game was developed??). I wonder
if I can get a free upgrade?? (Fat chance, I'd guess).

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Now, more than ever, Standard Disclaimers Apply

fayne@tellab5.tellab5.CHI.IL.US (Jeffrey Fayne) (10/11/89)

In article <1989Oct9.060121.4129@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> kwong@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ka Chin Wong) writes:
>I just saw a posting mentioning about FS 4.0.  I bought FS 3.0 not
>long ago.  Will I be able to get an upgrade from Microsoft with a
>cheaper price?  Does upgrade only apply to product other that games
>(MSC, Word ... etc)?
>
>Rick

I just spoke to Microsoft this morning about upgrading from v3.0. Their
reply was that "no upgrade is available from previous versions."
Apparently, this only applies to Games( or as I like to call them
"Game Theory Simulators") as I have yet to be refused an upgrade
to other Microsoft products! Oh well, another $40.00 for another
flight simulatror :-)

Jeff

If it flies,    \      _      /             |  Jeffrey M. Fayne
  it dies...     \   /^ ^\   /              |  Tellabs, Inc.
      ____________\_(  .  )_/____________   |  Lisle, IL  (312)-969-8800
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--        |
              *       O O       *           |  Standard Disclaimer Applies

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (10/15/89)

    Is this better/worse than something like FALCON?  I've
    never "flown" the Microsoft FS.  Does it have combat?

--
    "You kill what you fear and you fear what you don't understand..."
                                                  - Genesis

consp21@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Ken Hoover) (10/16/89)

 mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) writes:

   [regarding microsoft's flight simulators]

>    Is this better/worse than something like FALCON?  I've
>    never "flown" the Microsoft FS.  Does it have combat?
>
>--
>    "You kill what you fear and you fear what you don't understand..."
>                                                  - Genesis

   Microsoft's flight simulators are built more for their accuracy to the real
thing than as neat video games.  A flight in MS flight simulator is in real
time (i.e. it takes an hour and a half, if I remember coreectly, to fly the
simulator from Chicago to Champaign, IL).  The controls, radios, and even the
little quirks of the plane you fly are faithfully incorporated into the game.

   BTW, I heard that they literally take (real) planes apart to study them
better for this game.

   There is usually a WWI fighting game included (I don't have the newest
versions nearby) which, in the version I had, was pretty good on the flying
angle, but kinda low on "flash-bang-boom" war.  In fact, you won't find a
"flash", "bang", or a "boom" nywhere in the game I have.

   In short, if you want reality; here it is.  I you want a good
flying/fighting game, buy F-19 stealth fighter.

    Hope this helps.

						- Ken

Ken Hoover [ consp21@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu | consp21@bingvaxa.BITNET ]
     Resident computer jock and Mac hacker, SUNY-Binghamton Bio dept.
     Senior undergraduate consultant, SUNY-Binghamton Computer Center
  " The average human being only uses 10% of their mind. " -Scientific studies
  " ... the rest is taken up by the operating system. " -from an MIT newsletter