[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Praise for Central Pt. PC tools 5.5 and some helpful info

allanon@ucrmath (10/08/89)

I wrote to Central Pt. software at the Sept 9 and got a reply dated Sept.
29 regarding some oversights in their design of the DESKTOP Telecommunications
module.

A reply from Doug Rogelstad said he would pass along the fact the the
bottom status line takes up one more line than a standard vt100 terminal
thus making vi under unix difficult.

Another problem I had with it was that the program does not pass along
the BREAK code to the modem if I press Control-Break, which is useful
at times.  He is sending me an update disk which enables the CTRL-BREAK key
in the terminal emulation mode.  If there are other users with similar
problem they should contact Central Point for a fix.

I wish to praise Central Point software and Doug Rogelstad for his helpfulness.

Disclaimer : Just another satisfied customer

"Standby, sir. Miracle worker at work."  ST IV

Kenneth C.P. Leung

UUCP:    {ucsd, ucivax, ucbvax!ucdavis}!ucrmath!allanon
Internet:    ucrmath!allanon@ucsd.ucsd.EDU
"Standby, sir. Miracle worker at work."  ST IV

Kenneth C.P. Leung
Senior Computer Consultant, Graduate School of Management

trier@olympus.CWRU.EDU (Stephen Trier) (10/09/89)

What does it take to get Central Point to give you news of upgrades to
PC Tools?  I bought PC Tools 5.0, and was quite happy, but found some bugs
that could harm my HD file structure.  A month later, I needed to outfit
a new machine, so I bought PC Tools again and found that it was 5.1.
Now I hear of 5.5!  I've sent in both of my registration cards; what's
up?  Does Central Point have a policy of word-of-mouth upgrade info?

<=> Stephen Trier    sct@po.CWRU.Edu
                     trier@skybridge.scl.CWRU.Edu

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (10/09/89)

Stephen Trier writes:

> What does it take to get Central Point to give you news of upgrades to
> PC Tools?  I bought PC Tools 5.0, and was quite happy, but found some bugs
> that could harm my HD file structure.  A month later, I needed to outfit
> a new machine, so I bought PC Tools again and found that it was 5.1.
> Now I hear of 5.5!  I've sent in both of my registration cards; what's
> up?  Does Central Point have a policy of word-of-mouth upgrade info?

They seem to do part of their mailing list each month.
I got the update notice for 5.1 about two or three months
after it started showing up on the net.
I got the update notice for 5.5 about two or three months
after it started showing up on the net.
It then took about another two or three months to get delivery.

I understand that the latest version can be picked up from their
bulletin board. The number is in the front of the manual.

Jim Winer -- The opinions expressed here are not necessarily
	     and do not represent nor in any way imply
	     of any other sane person and especially not
	     employer.
But those who fear insist on consensual reality between consensual adults.

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (10/10/89)

>What does it take to get Central Point to give you news of upgrades to
>PC Tools?

My problem with Central Point is they are constantly sending me info
about new updates. I no sooner install one version and get
comfortable with it than they tell me that for $10 or $20 or ...
I can get the latest and greatest. Also in my experience if I
encountered a bug in my version and it is fixed in the new version,
the upgrade is free.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Sillicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/11/89)

In article <1640024@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
> >What does it take to get Central Point to give you news of upgrades to
> >PC Tools?
>
> My problem with Central Point is they are constantly sending me info
> about new updates. I no sooner install one version and get
> comfortable with it than they tell me that for $10 or $20 or ...
> I can get the latest and greatest.

That's been my experience as well, with all their products.  But I'd
rather that than no news of upgrades at all, as has been the case with
most companies with whom I register software.  I have to learn about
upgrades and upgrade offers in PC Magazine!

greg@phoenix.princeton.edu (greg Nowak) (10/16/89)

In article <832@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM>, gary@dvnspc1 (Gary Barrett) writes:
>In article <1640024@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>
>> My problem with Central Point is they are constantly sending me info
>> about new updates. I no sooner install one version and get
>> comfortable with it than they tell me that for $10 or $20 or ...
>> I can get the latest and greatest.

>That's been my experience as well, with all their products.  But I'd
>rather that than no news of upgrades at all, as has been the case with
>most companies with whom I register software.  I have to learn about
>upgrades and upgrade offers in PC Magazine!

Speaking of Central Point and PC Magazine, the October issue tells us that
if you have Version 5.1, you can call up the Central Point BBS and get a
FREE update. (or, for the price of the call. ) Evidently you can download
a copy of Version 5.5 which is encrypted with 5.1's file encryption
algorithm...

...!rutgers!phoenix.princeton.edu!greg

                           Greg Nowak/Phoenix Gang/Princeton NJ 08540