[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Right Writer?

franke@rwthinf.UUCP (Christian Franke) (10/13/89)

Hello !

Has someone experience with the grammar checker "Right Writer"
from Right Soft, Florida?

Is there any german or european distributor for this product?

Regards,

	Christian Franke

	Aachen University of Technology
	Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik I
	Ahornstrasse 55
	D-5100 Aachen
	Federal Republic of Germany
	Tel.: 0241 / 80-3586

	UUCP: franke@rwthinf.uucp ({...mcvax}!unido!rwthinf!franke)

TARKKONEN@cc.helsinki.fi (Lauri Tarkkonen) (10/16/89)

In article <1358@rwthinf.UUCP>, franke@rwthinf.UUCP (Christian Franke) writes:
> Hello !
>
> Has someone experience with the grammar checker "Right Writer"
> from Right Soft, Florida?
>
> Is there any german or european distributor for this product?
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Christian Franke
>
> 	Aachen University of Technology
> 	Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik I
> 	Ahornstrasse 55
> 	D-5100 Aachen
> 	Federal Republic of Germany
> 	Tel.: 0241 / 80-3586
>
> 	UUCP: franke@rwthinf.uucp ({...mcvax}!unido!rwthinf!franke)

I have used the RightWriter to check my bad English. I quess it did
some good work by helping me in the punctuation, but as the program
is intended primarily to improve the launguage of some busines letters,
it did some unnecessary work commenting on the passive voice, long
sentences and repetition of idioms I had to use to conform with the
scientific jargon used in my field (statistics).

It worked reasosnably well on short pieces of text, but if I tried
to check he whole story the parameters were absolute rubbish.

Still I think the program helped me in the preliminary check of the
text.

Lauri Tarkkonen
University of Helsinki
Department of Statistics