[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PE2? How can one buy a copy?

busu@ccu.umanitoba.ca (10/05/89)

A friend of mine has a bootlegged version of an editor and I'd like to
know if anyone knows anything about it or where one can buy a copy of
it ... or better yet, anyone want to sell a copy?   The program opens
with the following info  ... Personal Editor II (c) IBM 1982, 1985
Written by Jim Wyllie.  Is there a new version available?
Thanks for any info.
--
--------------
| Dan Keizer |

tom@stiatl.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) (10/06/89)

In article <1989Oct4.183438.27430@ccu.umanitoba.ca> busu@ccu.umanitoba.ca () writes:
>A friend of mine has a bootlegged version of an editor and I'd like to
>know if anyone knows anything about it or where one can buy a copy of
>it ... or better yet, anyone want to sell a copy?   The program opens
>with the following info  ... Personal Editor II (c) IBM 1982, 1985
>Written by Jim Wyllie.  Is there a new version available?
>Thanks for any info.

Funny you should ask.  A guy at one of my client sites asked the same
question and we called the number I remembered from years past -
1-800-IBM-PCSW.  IBM no longer runs this business, it is run by a company
called Personally Developed Software or some such.

Anyway, I asked how to order PEII.  They said you can't ... but there is now
a PE III available, but it is backordered and not available for at least
three weeks.  They are also printing a new catalog, available Real Soon Now.

I got my check in the mail....

Tom

--
Tom Wiencko                                            (w) (404) 977-4515
gatech!stiatl!tom                                  Wiencko & Associates, Inc.

slimer@trsvax.UUCP (10/07/89)

   Personal Editor II was written back in 1984 and marketed by IBM in 1985
   as a text processor. It has since been taken off their market list and
   that was it for PE2. As far as I can tell, since IBM "owns" the program,
   there hasn't been, nor will there be, any more updates to this
   outstanding, yet under-recognized, piece of software.

   Now, as for my questions, perhaps someone else can help:

   Is it good to announce that you have or know someone who has a "bootleg"
   copy of a program? Can someone now be sued for acknowledging the
   ownership of a "bootleg" copy? Any other information on this type of
   "misunderstanding" :-) could be very helpful. I wouldn't want anyone to
   get into any trouble from this type of statement.

*  Thank You,                           texbell!letni!rwsys!trsvax!slimer  *
*         Bill           "My micro doesn't give a sheet!" - ComputerWorld  *
*  George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth, TX. 76102  (817) 390-2871  *

chf@lznv.ATT.COM (C.FOSTER) (10/10/89)

I am a PE II fan from long ago and still use it for a simple text editor.
I purchased a copy a year ago from the company that bought all the Personally
Developed Software from IBM. IBM got out of the business. The address I have:

           Personally Developed Software
           P.O. Box 3280
           Wallingford, CT. 06494
           (800)426-7279

The last flyer I got had a price of $64.95, P/N 6276560 for 5 1/4"
and P/N 6276701 for 3 1/2".

The copyright dates on by version are also 1985 so I don't think it has
been updated since then.

slimer@trsvax.UUCP (10/16/89)

  As has been noted before in a posting related to the Personal Editor
  series, the latest is about to be PE3. It is to be released soon, if not
  already. I have not yet found any notification or verification of this in
  any trade journals; However, I received a flyer at my place of employment
  that stated something in the order of "Be the first to have PE3." It did
  have the address and label as the previous post.

*  Thank You,                                  texbell!letni!rwsys!slimer  *
*         Bill                  "Tape me to your leader!" - ComputerWorld  *
*  George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth, TX. 76102  (817) 390-2871  *

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) (10/17/89)

OK, does anybody know what the new features of PE3 are supposed to be?  Other
than a state-of-the-art marketing program :) A coworker of mine called the
company that sells it, the only feature my co-worker relay to me was EMS
support. Great, just what I needed. Now I can edit 2 Meg source files at
a time :). There is also a 3 week backlog on orders.

DISCLAIMER: This is second/third hand information. Take it witha grain of salt.

--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1