[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ASCII text from File Pro?

olsen@eecs.nwu.edu (Jeff Olsen) (10/15/89)

  I am looking for a way for export ASCII text from a File Pro (by Small
 Systems) data file.  Any ideas?

jso
olsen@eecs.nwu.edu

tony@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Tony Holden) (10/16/89)

in article <3580021@eecs.nwu.edu>, olsen@eecs.nwu.edu (Jeff Olsen) says:

>   I am looking for a way for export ASCII text from a File Pro (by Small
>  Systems) data file.  Any ideas?

Sure no problem.

You can setup a "non-filepro" file and do lookups into it.
Setup a report that prints to a file.
Use the export utilities in the processing tables.

If I had more info on what you need I could tell you more.

Tony Holden
tony@jassys
or
tony@attctc.dallas.tx.us

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/17/89)

In article <3580021@eecs.nwu.edu> olsen@eecs.nwu.edu (Jeff Olsen) writes:

>  I am looking for a way for export ASCII text from a File Pro (by Small
> Systems) data file.  Any ideas?

Use the export command - it has 4 switches, one of which is ASCII.

It's on page 13-103 of the manual.

Also there is an import command.

Using the two I have successfully merged data out of WordPerfect on a PeeCee,
FilePro on Xenix, and some sort of homebuilt data base in Cobol on a Burroughs
A-10.

Just pick your switches and delimiters.  I did have to tag an explicit
delimiter on the file in one instance.  Works fine.  Moved a 25,000 record 3
Mbyte file from an IBM 80 to the Burroughs with no problems.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP