[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CodeView Manual

tkopp@carroll1.UUCP (Tom Kopp) (10/17/89)

Here at Carroll, somebody has walked off with our only copies of the
Codeview manual.  Microsoft will not send out just the manuals - you have
to buy the software package again. (MASM 5.1 is the applicable program here).

We are wondering if anyone has taken the time (or will take the time) to
photocopy the manual and send it to us.  We'll pay shipping costs, of course,
as well as duplication costs.  Please respond by e-mail to one of the
addresses in my .signature. (I don't have time to flip through this group
searching for responses, thanks).

Any help would be appreciated.

--
tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu  or  uunet!marque!carroll1!tkopp
Thomas J. Kopp @ Carroll College 3B2 - Waukesha, WI

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) (10/17/89)

In article <750@carroll1.UUCP>, tkopp@carroll1.UUCP (Tom Kopp) writes:

> Here at Carroll, somebody has walked off with our only copies of the
> Codeview manual.  Microsoft will not send out just the manuals - you have
> to buy the software package again. (MASM 5.1 is the applicable program here).
>
> We are wondering if anyone has taken the time (or will take the time) to
> photocopy the manual and send it to us.  We'll pay shipping costs, of course,
> as well as duplication costs.  Please respond by e-mail to one of the

Isn't this a copyright violation? I don't have Codeview, but I would certainly
be surprised if Microsoft didn't copyright the manual as well as the software.
Not that I wouldn't be sympathetic to your problem, especially considering
Microsoft's attitude, but a judge would have to rule against you. I'ld
recommend you purchase a legitimate second-source manual for Codeview (sorry
I don't know of one but the local computer bookstore should have one).

A second option would be to trash Codeview and buy Borland's Turbo Debug/TASM.
(it's $55 at our bookstore).
--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

tkopp@carroll1.UUCP (Tom Kopp) (10/18/89)

In article <2550@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) writes:
>In article <750@carroll1.UUCP>, I wrote asking for a copy of the CV manual.

I received (both by mail and on the net, stuff such as Scott B's "

>Isn't this a copyright violation? I don't have Codeview, but I would certainly
>be surprised if Microsoft didn't copyright the manual as well as the software.
"

Well, yeah, I guess it is a (c) violation.  However, we have purchased the
software, legally we are entitled to have the documentation for it.

Microsoft won't supply us with it (according to the the person who wanted
this message written), so what choice does that leave us to get original
documentation?

Sure, 3rd party books are great, but it's my experience that they seldom
cover everything that is in the originals.  And often have misinterpreted the
originals about a fact or two (Not that originals are perfect, but... :) )

As to TDB or the like, well, we have purchased that too, but haven't had time
to get it installed and figured out on our equipment.  As such, it isn't being
taught in our classes yet.