[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Power C

news@bellcore.bellcore.com (news) (10/02/89)

$20 for the debugger, $10 for the library source code, $10 for BCD "business
arithmetic").  Do you need to buy the add-ons?  I will summarize all replies
and post them to the net.  TIA
				David H. Copp
				(201) 829-4337
				copp@bellcore.com
				KE2EO

copp@wind.bellcore.com (David H Copp) (10/03/89)

(I apologise for the missing first line in the original posting.)
I am looking for comments on the Mix Software, Inc. product called
"Power C".  The compiler costs $20, the debugger costs $20, the library
source code costs $10 and BCD business math costs $10.  At these prices
it seems to be too good to be true!  Thanks--

				David H. Copp
				(201) 829-4337
				copp@bellcore.com
				KE2EO

trier@colima.CWRU.EDU (Stephen Trier) (10/05/89)

Being a poor student upgrading to an IBM-compatible, I jumped at Power C.
I'm reasonably happy with it.  It is an effective, working command-line
based C compiler.  I have been using it for my class assignments, prior
to uploading the finished programs to a VAXStation for final testing.
The ANSI compatibility is acceptable, and the libraries seem more complete
than those in gcc on the VAXStation.  Power C is not particularily fast,
it's not unusually ANSI conformant, and it does not have the latest user
interface, but it's cheap, and it works.

Stephen Trier
Internet: sct@po.cwru.edu
          trier@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu
UUCP: Your guess is as good as mine.

nucoffma@ndsuvax.UUCP (Clark Coffman) (10/16/89)

In article <17765@bellcore.bellcore.com> copp@wind.UUCP (David H Copp) writes:
>(I apologise for the missing first line in the original posting.)
>I am looking for comments on the Mix Software, Inc. product called
>"Power C".  The compiler costs $20, the debugger costs $20, the library
>source code costs $10 and BCD business math costs $10.  At these prices
>it seems to be too good to be true!  Thanks--
>
>				David H. Copp
>				(201) 829-4337
>				copp@bellcore.com
>				KE2EO

Power C is really a great compiler for the price.  I've used it for two
years now and haven't had any really serious problems, other then under-
standing C itself.  Power C came with a very good manual, all though it
fell apart after about a year of intensive page flipping.

	I bought the source code also, and it's extensive, but barely
documented, so you better understand C and assembly well if you really
intend on useing the source. Still for the price, it's alright.

	You don't need the BCD, or other modules to program with it. I don't
remember if they have an integrated environment or not for it, but I've
written a small one myself, allowing you to use you're favorite editor, and
disk utility program. The debugger was rated very highly in Computer
Shopper a while back ago (a year ago). I've never used it myself.

	You really can't go wrong with it. If you buy it and would like
to have a copy of the environment and source let me know.

			Clark W. Coffman
		Alias:	Dagda Mor

hwajin@wrs.wrs.com (Hwajin Bae) (10/18/89)

In article <3011@ndsuvax.UUCP> nucoffma@ndsuvax.UUCP (Clark Coffman) writes:
>	I bought the source code also, and it's extensive, but barely
>documented, so you better understand C and assembly well if you really
>intend on useing the source. Still for the price, it's alright.

Their library functions are mostly implemented in assembly code.  The syntax
of the assembly programs are different from that of MASM.  They supply their
own assembler with the library source code option.
--
Hwajin Bae
Wind River Systems, Emeryville, CA