[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 wars: ZEOS vs GATEWAY

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (10/16/89)

I'm in the market for a 386 clone, and have (I think) narrowed my quest
down to ZEOS and GATEWAY 2000.  ZEOS machines look better for their price,
but I've been using clones long enough that you don't find out about
the important differences until you've been using it for a while.  I'm
interested in hearing any comments on either machine, especially with
regards to expandability, documentation quality, and individual quirks.

Thanks,
Roger

--
UUCP:   unhd!rg@cs.utexas.edu | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (10/18/89)

In article <1989Oct15.185436.17210@uunet!unhd> unhd!rg@cs.utexas.edu (Roger Gonzalez) writes:
>I'm in the market for a 386 clone, and have (I think) narrowed my quest
>down to ZEOS and GATEWAY 2000.  ZEOS machines look better for their price,
>but I've been using clones long enough that you don't find out about
>the important differences until you've been using it for a while.  I'm
>interested in hearing any comments on either machine, especially with
>regards to expandability, documentation quality, and individual quirks.

	I have been using a Gateway 386-20 machines for 2 weeks and am very
happy. Other colleagues have had Gateway's for at least a year. Early
Gateways suffered some problems (running Windows, etc.) but everything seems
solid now. I am ordering more Gateway's. They just lowered the 386 prices by
$150-500. I don't know about Zeos machines. You may call me for more pro and
con information on Gateway.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.edu
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

nuharlow@ndsuvax.UUCP (Jay B. Harlow) (10/18/89)

In article <1989Oct15.185436.17210@uunet!unhd> unhd!rg@cs.utexas.edu (Roger Gonzalez) writes:
>I'm in the market for a 386 clone, and have (I think) narrowed my quest
>down to ZEOS and GATEWAY 2000.  ZEOS machines look better for their price,
>but I've been using clones long enough that you don't find out about
>the important differences until you've been using it for a while.  I'm
>interested in hearing any comments on either machine, especially with
>regards to expandability, documentation quality, and individual quirks.
>
>Thanks,
>Roger

I wasn't sure if you are resticting yourself to full 386 or the 386sx was
an option.  I have a Zeos 386SX, I am rather happy with it, except that
thier keyboard BIOS fails to emulate an IBM AT very well.  So the keyboard
BIOS gets a definate THUMBS DOWN.  The problem is as is I have no way to
use F11 or F12 ( no extended keyboard BIOS calls ).  the cursor pad (not the
number pad) is handled all wrong ( in my opinion) when you have numlock on
( which changes the number pad) the cursor pad becomes shift number pad, which
may work but my favorite programs don't expect to see shift num3 so I have to
reach all the way over & hit keys on the number pad.  Futher do you think ZEOS
will listen
   NO, on this problem they are insisting is the program & not the BIOS.

I currently intend on buying a better BIOS ( from an outside company)

					Jay

--
		Jay B. Harlow	<nuharlow@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!nuharlow (UUCP)	nuharlow@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

Of course the above is personal opinion, And has no bearing on reality...