[comp.sys.ibm.pc] COBOL + BASIC/Lotus I/O Queries

olaf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (olaf.henjum) (10/17/89)

I have three unrelated questions regarding a newly acquired PC/AT clone:

(a) Are there "good" implementations of COBOL for PCs?
    (PLEASE, NO comments about what a lousy language COBOL is!
    There is a legitimate business purpose involved that is not mine
    to decide w.r.t. the implementation language!)

    If so, what are they and who sells them for how much?

(b) I can't find a way to actually dump TO A FILE a READABLE
    BASIC program listing ("type" produces unreadable characters,
    so apparantly BASIC programs are NOT stored in the syntax/form one
    uses to type them in).

(c) Although Lotus 1-2-3 has an option for changing the parameters
    controlling image column width and lines-per-page (when printing
    an image of the worksheet to either a file or a printer), the @$#%@$
    defaults won't STAY changed!  I have tried the following sequence:
    1. Erase the worksheet from working memory.
    2. Explicitly change the parameters (that Lotus claims are already
       changed) and save them (even though Lotus claims they are saved).
    3. Re-load the worksheet in step 1.
    4. Repeat step 2.
    5. Re-save the worksheet (even though it's supposed to be current).
    6. Repeat step 2.
    7. Print the worksheet.
       --> OLD values for parameters (totally different from step 2.)
           are STILL in effect (72 column width, 66 lines per page).
    8. Check defaults: Lotus still claims they HAVE been reset
       to the NEW parameter values.
    AARRGGHH!!

Any help you might be able to provide to any one of these questions
would be GREATLY appreciated!

   -- Olaf Henjum (arpa!att!ihlpf!olaf)

davido@asylum.SF.CA.US (David Ornstein) (10/19/89)

In article <3916@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> olaf@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (olaf.henjum) writes:
>I have three unrelated questions regarding a newly acquired PC/AT clone:
>
>(a) Are there "good" implementations of COBOL for PCs?
>    (PLEASE, NO comments about what a lousy language COBOL is!
>    There is a legitimate business purpose involved that is not mine
>    to decide w.r.t. the implementation language!)
>
>    If so, what are they and who sells them for how much?

The real market leader is Micro Focus COBOL.  Especially with their
latest release, they have started really taking COBOL is some good
(system-ee) directions.

The previous release is also what is distributed as Microsoft's
COBOL...

>   -- Olaf Henjum (arpa!att!ihlpf!olaf)

David Ornstein
Sage Software