[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telix and Kermit

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (03/02/89)

I've begun to experiemnt with Telix 3.11 (telix.exe of 10.30.88).  It is
clearly of lovely piece of programming.

From past messages it is obvious that someone communicates with the
author, and I'd like to pass along some Kermit-related suggestions.

1. Running under a Kermit server would be desirable.  While one can
certainly give the host send and receive commands, having to do so puts
Telix at a disadvantage to other comm software.  I've never seen any NOT
support commands from the local Kermit.

2. Even more desirable would be the ability to change packet sizes.
Telix seems to enforce a maximum packet size of 94, which makes Kermit
slow in comparison to {x|y|z}modem.  Now, if one is stuck with a dialin
system in which comm params MUST be E71 instead of N81, *MODEM become
non-options.

Finally, when I use VI the 'h' (move left) key removes characters from
the screen (ick), but fortunately does not delete them.  What have I got
set wrong?  I've noticed other VT102 flakiness, mostly characters
disappearing from the screen.

E-mail suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

--
Frank Burleigh  burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

jeffery@ziggy.UUCP (Jeff Sheese) (03/03/89)

In article <3308@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) writes:

>Finally, when I use VI the 'h' (move left) key removes characters from
>the screen (ick), but fortunately does not delete them.  What have I got
>set wrong?  I've noticed other VT102 flakiness, mostly characters
>disappearing from the screen.

This type of problem eluded me as well for a long time, which is why I posted
and article in place of email.

Use ALT-O to configure Telix and T for terminal options.  Next use H to turn
off destructive backspace.  If your 'stty erase' is enabled you should see
no difference.
--
Jeff Sheese				jeffery@ziggy.UUCP
P.O. Box 1092				jeffery@m-net.UUCP

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (09/10/89)

I have been trying to do file transfers from my school's mainframe
to my PC by modem using the Kermit in Telix.  I have been successful
in text mode but I can't get it to transfer in binary mode.  I have
set Telix in binary mode and I set the mainframe kermit to binary
mode also.  I have done this identical procedure and been successful
using the Kermit in Procomm.  Any ideas.  Thanks.

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

ts@chyde.uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (09/10/89)

In article <14190@netnews.upenn.edu> ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Richard  Ferris) writes:
>I have been trying to do file transfers from my school's mainframe
>to my PC by modem using the Kermit in Telix.  I have been successful
>in text mode but I can't get it to transfer in binary mode.  I have
>set Telix in binary mode and I set the mainframe kermit to binary
>mode also.  I have done this identical procedure and been successful
>using the Kermit in Procomm.  Any ideas.  Thanks.

What baud rate were you using when trying Kermit in Telix? If it was
high, problems occur. There are several solutions:
  1) Lower the baud rate (not a good one)
  2) Use zmodem transfer in Telix
     - this works well when one gets it right. You must have
       zmodem at both ends
  3) Use MsKermit program and Kermit transfer Protocol.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

trent@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Glenn Jordan) (09/11/89)

I have found that Telix's Kermit won't do 8th-bit prefixing over a 2400,7,E,1
connection. This could be Ferris' problem. I have never seen another
Kermit implementation that can't handle this with the C-Kermit on
our ecsvax home system. If you try it, the transfer just times out on
both ends.

 A 7-bit connection is convenient (and a habit) because of the floating
8th-bit our system uses. Telix allows high bit stripping, so its not
really necessary to connect at 7E1. Telix kermit works fine with C-Kermit
if I use 8N1, ie. - No prefixing required. I am really surprised that
no one else has mentioned this lack in Telix, otherwise a FINE program.
I thought I was just doing something wrong - maybe I am ... ?

      Glenn Jordan

pechter@scr1ocpt.ccur.com (Bill Pechter) (09/13/89)

In article <7645@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> trent@ecsvax.uncecs.edu.UUCP (Glenn Jordan) writes:
>I have found that Telix's Kermit won't do 8th-bit prefixing over a 2400,7,E,1
>connection. This could be Ferris' problem. I have never seen another

This is a known Telix problem that Colin Sampaleanu says he'll fix in v4.0
which should be out next year.  I'm using MS-Kermit as an external protocol
for this problem.  A rotten workaround -- but the only one I could find.
PCKERMIT21 seemed a bit flaky.

V3.12 of Telix won't be fixing this one.  V4.0 should.  I've requested full
server support in V4.0 of Telix -- or at least get, put, fin and bye.

I hope it comes soon.  Telix is my favorite comm program.  This workaround
really stinks -- anyone have a better one?   The machines here run 7-even.

Bill

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757

rogers@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (09/13/89)

In article <481@scr1ocpt.ccur.com> pechter@scr1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) writes:
>In article <7645@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> trent@ecsvax.uncecs.edu.UUCP (Glenn Jordan) writes:
>>I have found that Telix's Kermit won't do 8th-bit prefixing over a 2400,7,E,1
>>connection. This could be Ferris' problem. I have never seen another

>This is a known Telix problem that Colin Sampaleanu says he'll fix in v4.0
>which should be out next year.  I'm using MS-Kermit as an external protocol
>for this problem.  A rotten workaround -- but the only one I could find.
>PCKERMIT21 seemed a bit flaky.

>I hope it comes soon.  Telix is my favorite comm program.  This workaround
>really stinks -- anyone have a better one?   The machines here run 7-even.

  Get the zmodem package for your unix machine, it handles x,r, and z modem
protocols, even through 2 stages of terminal LANs. (use 'sz -l 1024 filename'
to download)  I found it in the pd1:<MSDOS.ZMODEM> directory on simtel.
It works fine with many unixs, BSD 4.? included.  I had to quit using
it when we changed to SUN OS 4.0.3.  All the modems here go 8-bit no parity
so I don't know if it can be used on a 7-even modem.
  It works very slick with telix.  However I never was able to upload
a binary file to unix with it. (I didn't try very hard, though.)

 Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC        rogers@src.honeywell.com
 work 612-782-7577 home 874-7737

jose.dias@canremote.uucp (JOSE DIAS) (10/05/89)

>From: ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard  Ferris)

>I have been trying to do file transfers from my school's mainframe
>to my PC by modem using the Kermit in Telix.  I have been successful
>in text mode but I can't get it to transfer in binary mode.  I have
>set Telix in binary mode and I set the mainframe kermit to binary
>mode also.  I have done this identical procedure and been successful
>using the Kermit in Procomm.  Any ideas.  Thanks.

This is a known problem with Telix V3.11.  Colin says that this and
many other bugs will be removed in the next release of Telix.  The
next release of Telix, or V3.12, will be out in July 89 (grin:-).
Sigh....

>Richard T. Ferris
>ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
>University of Pennsylvania

--- Jos Dias
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a10 #1744  Life is a beach....

pdcst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Patrick D. Champion) (10/19/89)

In article <89100422391183@masnet.uucp> jose.dias@canremote.uucp (JOSE DIAS) writes:
>>From: ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard  Ferris)
>
>>I have been trying to do file transfers from my school's mainframe
>>to my PC by modem using the Kermit in Telix.  I have been successful
>>in text mode but I can't get it to transfer in binary mode.  I have
>>set Telix in binary mode and I set the mainframe kermit to binary
>>mode also.  I have done this identical procedure and been successful
>>using the Kermit in Procomm.  Any ideas.  Thanks.
>
>This is a known problem with Telix V3.11.  Colin says that this and
>many other bugs will be removed in the next release of Telix.  The
>next release of Telix, or V3.12, will be out in July 89 (grin:-).
>Sigh....

Actually, Telix is the only program that I have been able to use that
successfully transfers in kermit in binary on my home modem.  MS-KERM 2.32a
works fine at school on PC's connected to the VAXes vi DecServers, but it
will randomly fail a file transfer from home.

	Only Telix worked for me.  Maybe it is the fact that one can set
more options concerning flow control, carrier detect, DSR and what not.
I am not sure, do you have any idea?  I gave up on Procomm and MS-KERM2.32a
because of this program and now only use Telix.

	However, writing this letter in VI has show up a problem with Telix.
When I move my cursor to the left, it blanks out the characters on the screen,
and when I move back to the right (in control mode) the letters reappear.
Also, Sometimes when I insert a line with the o or O command, a blank line is
not created on the screen, even everything is fine in the file.  As a result,
I have had to hit Control L several times in the editing of this letter in
order to see the true appearance of the file.  Is this a known bug, or do
I have some option set wrongly?  I am in VT102 mode..

Patrick Champion			My views are only my own.
University of Pittsburgh
Epidemiology Data Coordinating Center	pdccs@unix.cis.pitt.edu
					pdcst@unix.cis.pitt.eduu

Bill.Noel@f404.n387.z1.ANGEL.UCM.ORG (Bill Noel) (10/19/89)

Don
 I have used Telix to upload Binary files to my son at Carnegie-Mellon with
the Kermit protocol and as far as I know have not had any problems.
                Bill Noel
--
Bill Noel - via FidoNet node 1:387/605
UUCP: thnkpos!angel.ucm.org!404!Bill.Noel