[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SIMTEL20 - Where is it?

var@cbnews.ATT.COM (gary.t.varney) (10/12/89)

Users,

	I'm fairly new to netnews so please bear with me.  I've heard
a lot about this mysterious SIMTEL20.  Could someone fill me in on
where it is?  What the phone # is?  Modem settings, etc...?

	From what I've read here, it looks like there is a lot of good
software on it.

	Please post responses on this newsgroup, or e-mail to me if
you know how to reach me above.  Thanks in advance.

Gary V.

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) (10/12/89)

In article <10153@cbnews.ATT.COM>, var@cbnews.ATT.COM (gary.t.varney) writes:
> 	I'm fairly new to netnews so please bear with me.  I've heard
> a lot about this mysterious SIMTEL20.  Could someone fill me in on
> where it is?  What the phone # is?  Modem settings, etc...?

  The SIMTEL20 archives are access through FTP (standing for File
Transfer Protocol) from your machine hooked up to internet. I don't
believe it can be accessed through calling in with a modem.
  If you have FTP ability from your node, then you should be able to
access SIMTEL20 with the following commands... (the commands you enter
are capitalized, everything else is my comment).

FTP WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.EDU

  This calls the account that simtel20 is on. If all works, you will get
the prompt asking for a user id. At that prompt, enter as your userid...

ANONYMOUS

  Enter your userid as the password (I believe you can enter anything,
but to be nice to the operators of simtel20 you should enter your
userid).
  If the machine lets you on (it doesn't a lot of times because of the
amount of users on at the time), you will get a prompt saying FTP. At
this prompt, there are many commands you can use. Here are a few...
   HELP - lists commands and short description.
   CD - change directory. 'CD name' moves down to directory 'name'
          and 'CD ..' will move up one level.
   DIR or LS - list directory
   GET filename - calls for file to be transferred from the simtel20
                    archives to your account on your machine.
   BINARY - must be specified before GETing a binary file (anything in
              .ZOO, .ZIP, .ARC, .EXE, or .COM format is binary). This
              tells the machine that you are transferring a binary file
              rather than an ascii file.

  I don't FTP to simtel20 that often because it is such a pain to get
logged on (that ever present too many users message), but do access
other sites (such as HOTEL.CIS.KSU.EDU and VEGA.HUT.FI). I believe the
simtel20 archive is running TOPS operating system, so a couple of the
commands I have stated may be slightly different (I believe the BINARY
command is different, but I don't remember what it is).

  Another way of accessing the files is through a listserv on bitnet. If
you have bitnet access, then you may be able to access many of the files
in this way. I access the files from a VAX running VMS using JNET
command. If you don't have this set up, I am not sure how you would
access the listservs.
  I access the listserv using the interactive command, SEND. The format
of the command is...
  SEND name_of_listserv command

   The listserv I use is 'LISTSERV@RPIECS' (the jnet send command uses
the format of userid@node). Here are a couple of the valid commands...

  HELP - pretty self explanitory command
  /PDDIR PD:<subdir1.subdir2> nn - asks for a directory of files that
                                     are less than 'nn' days old.
  /PDGET PD:<subdir1.subdir2>filename.extension  format - asks for file

    The directory format is PD:<subdir1.subdir2>  The subdir1 that I use
often is MSDOS. Subdir2 is the actual directory that the files are
stored in. For example, one that I have called recently is LOTUS123. In
each directory, there is a file called 00-INDEX.TXT. This file lists
many of the files in the directory and a short description of what they
are.
   The 'format' in the /pdget command is where you tell the listserver
how you want the file. For my system, I always use 'TRANSLATE' for ascii
files and 'UUENCODE' for binary files. I would assume that this is
operating system relavent, so you may have to try different stuff for a
while.
   Here are some examples of commands...

SEND LISTSERV@RPIECS /PDDIR PD:<MSDOS.*> 100
   tell me what files you have in all directories (one of the few times
that the listserv will take an '*') that are less than 100 days old.

SEND LISTSERV@RPIECS /PDGET PD:<MSDOS.LOTUS123>00-INDEX.TXT TRANSLATE
   send me the file that lists the files in this subdirectory. Translate
it so that it is understandable by my ascii machine.

SEND LISTSERV@RPIECS /PDGET PD:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>FREN1_23.ARC  UUENCODE
   Send me the french tutor program from the education subdirectory.
Anything that you ask for uuencoded has to be uudecoded. Somewhere in
the archive are source codes for uudecode and uuencode in basic, pascal
and c. They should be the first files you go for and compile (after
getting any of the help files and such)

SEND LISTSERV@RPIECS HELP
   I didn't understand a single thing that guy said. Let me see if
listserv can do any better.

   Listserv is nice in that you send one command, forget about it, and a
short while later find that you have recieved the files. It isn't nice
in that it limits you to about 150k worth of files a day (usually one or
two files will beat that). I hope this helps somewhat.

							Pete
--
Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,

halliday@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) (10/12/89)

In article <2081@leah.Albany.Edu> ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue) writes:
>   BINARY - must be specified before GETing a binary file (anything in
>              .ZOO, .ZIP, .ARC, .EXE, or .COM format is binary). This
>              tells the machine that you are transferring a binary file
>              rather than an ascii file.
>(...)
>commands I have stated may be slightly different (I believe the BINARY
>command is different, but I don't remember what it is).

You bet it's different! You must say either:

	tenex

or:

	type l 8
	     ^---that's an L, not a 1

to get around some peculiarities in how Simtel20 stores its files.

If your ftp client is braindamaged and doesn't understand either of the above
(there are a few that don't) you need to say:

	binary
	quote type l 8

You'll get a warning from Simtel20 when you specify `binary'. Ignore it.

...laura

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/89)

Simtel20 -Where is it?

That's interesting. I too would like to know where it is (physically,
that is - waht city and state).

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (10/14/89)

In article <110200014@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Simtel20 -Where is it?
>That's interesting. I too would like to know where it is (physically,
>that is - waht city and state).

White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.
(the WSM before Simtel in the e-mail address).

Dr. Richard Link
Space Sciences Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley

tim@apollo.HP.COM (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (10/20/89)

In article <5242@ubc-cs.UUCP> halliday@cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) writes:
>You bet it's different! You must say either:
>
>	tenex

I have tried this but some how the the binaries did not arrive in good
shape.  An arc t worked part of the way and then it suggested a newer
version of arc.  I would able to run crc.exe (which was also transfered
from simtel), but crc reported all of the non-ascii files as messed
up.  Crc would not report whether it's own crc was correct.

Any information on what the problem is would be appreciated.  Thanks.

UUCP: tim@apcimsp.uucp
ARPA: tim@apollo.hp.com
Nobody I know admits to sharing my opinions.  I don't even have a pet
which will share my opinion.