[comp.sys.ibm.pc] extension cable for EGA/VGA monitor

akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (10/19/89)

What is the longest one could build a keyboard/monitor
extension cable for a VGA or EGA monitor and have it work
without damaging any of the equipment?

Could it be 40 feet long?  50 feet?

The reason I ask is that I am considering moving
my monitor and keyboard downstairs and will need around
50 feet of cable for both the AT keyboard and monitor.

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/19/89)

In article <[253d2160:289]comp.sys.ibm.pc@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>What is the longest one could build a keyboard/monitor
>extension cable for a VGA or EGA monitor and have it work
>without damaging any of the equipment?
>
>Could it be 40 feet long?  50 feet?
>
>The reason I ask is that I am considering moving
>my monitor and keyboard downstairs and will need around
>50 feet of cable for both the AT keyboard and monitor.

    Well, the keyboard is essentially a serial device. A "typical"
serial port (let me know when you find one) can drive about 100
feet without any noticeable loss of signal. After that you start
getting degredation and you'll eventually lose the signal
somewhere between 300 and 500 feet.
    That still doesn't answer your question, does it?? Depending
on how well built the PC is, and what quality of components went
into it, I'd say you have about an 80% chance of doing what you want
with the keyboard....assuming "normal"-quality components. Damage to
the keyboard is not a concern here.

    Now, the monitor is a different story. Depends entirely on the
interface card and the monitor itself. Chances are, however, that
50' will be a mite too long to go without significant signal
loss.

    At lot of this is dependent on exactly what equipment you have and
the quality of its components. I've met serial cards that couldn't
drive a signal 30 feet, and parallel cards that blew the tractor feed
pins off the printer at 50 feet. All I can suggest is that you try it
and see if it works. I wouldn't worry about messing up your
keyboard, but exercise some caution with the monitor.

Unkydave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu
bank@cslimg.ncsu.edu

to do with they keyboard - assuming "normal"-

mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (10/20/89)

In article <4241@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Bank) writes:
>In article <[253d2160:289]comp.sys.ibm.pc@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>What is the longest one could build a keyboard/monitor
>>extension cable for a VGA or EGA monitor and have it work
>>without damaging any of the equipment?
>>
>>Could it be 40 feet long?  50 feet?

>    Well, the keyboard is essentially a serial device. A "typical"
>serial port (let me know when you find one) can drive about 100
>feet without any noticeable loss of signal.

However, the logic operates at 5volts only. It's TTL. 5Volts is
supplied directly to the keyboard through the DIN connector, from the
system board. IMHO, 30 feet would be pushing it. The Clock and keyboard
data operate with standard TTL levels.

Michael S. Richey    Internet: mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu
Bitnet: MRichey@UCI  CompuServe: 71650,3132    Voice: (714) 856-8374
University of California, Irvine    Network and Telecommunications Services
342 Computer Science      Irvine,   CA  92717

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/20/89)

In article <4241@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Bank) writes:
>In article <[253d2160:289]comp.sys.ibm.pc@nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>What is the longest one could build a keyboard/monitor
>>extension cable for a VGA or EGA monitor and have it work
>>without damaging any of the equipment?

>>Could it be 40 feet long?  50 feet?

>    That still doesn't answer your question, does it?? Depending
>on how well built the PC is, and what quality of components went
>into it, I'd say you have about an 80% chance of doing what you want
>with the keyboard [...]
>the keyboard is not a concern here.

>    Now, the monitor is a different story. Depends entirely on the
>interface card and the monitor itself. Chances are, however, that
>50' will be a mite too long to go without significant signal
>loss.

Well I beg to disagree on several points. In both the case of the keyboard
and an EGA display, all signals are digital, and the distance you can drive
(with a given type of cable) is dependent on the driver current (yes, the
keyboard matters), the hysteresis of the receiver (noise immunity), and
impedence matching.  "Quality" is not really the consideration; the shabbiest
display card might do the best because they used a cheap driver that just
happened to have greater drive capability at the cost of bandwidth (clarity).

The cable used will make a major difference. The longer the cable the
more you have to worry about crosstalk, shielding (the cable becomes a
dandy radio antenna), and capacitive loss. Just connecting up a bunch of
keyboard and display extension cords won't hack it -- you'll suffer one or
more of these problems.

A VGA display makes the situation worse since the analog video levels have
little noise immunity and any impedence mismatching will certainly lead
to ghost images.

I have no idea how far you can really go, but I can tell you that it will
be *expensive*, requiring custom cabling. It might be cheaper, if you
application can support it, to use a remote terminal on an RS-232 port.
This will have no trouble going 50'.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply