[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BULLEish on Zenith Data Systems

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (10/06/89)

Sorry if I missed the discussion on this, but I just got back from a week
in Illinois (596 articles in comp.sys.ibm.pc...read?  Right.) and had
to catch-up on a lot of assuredly fine postings.  But while I was there,
the big news was the sale of Zenith Data Systems to Groupe Bulle, a
French (?) computer company that I believe owns Honeywell also.

So, is there any further information?  Are they still to be called ZDS?
Will there still be a Zenith nameplate, or will the new line be
called BULLEstations?  What is/will be the reaction of US federal government
purchasing agents, who have gone for ZDS products in a big way during
the past few years?  And why would Zenith Electronics sell off the only
cash cow they have (ZDS made pretty good bucks over the years) and keep the
TV division, which, as I understand it, has been losing money in recent
years?  PLEASE don't tell me Sony is about to buy *them* also! :) I hope

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                            ** DISCLAIMER: It would
Washington Department of Fisheries              ** surprise me if the
Olympia, Washington  98504                      ** rest of the Department
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.u.washington.edu   ** agreed with any of this!

khg@neabbs.UUCP (KING.HAN GAN) (10/14/89)

Zenith's computer division was bought up by Groupe Bull, a french
company which also owns Honeywell (or at least part of it). Strangely
enough, Bull's corporate logo is a green tree.
Bull is now Europe's largest computer company.
Apparantly Zenith wanted to concentrate on TV's, especially Hi Def TV.
Zenith is by now the last (major) US maker of TV's.

I can't really understand why they did this. Zenith's TV division's
been losing money for years (selling the computers has now wiped out
their debt). But Japanese and European manufacturers already have
working HDTV and Zenith still has to develop theirs. I should think
their *too late* for HDTV.
The first HDTV satellites are alredy in the sky (over Japan), In
Europe HDTV studios are already in use and the Olympic Games in Spain
(1992) will be broadcast in HDTV (at least in Europe).

In the US, HDTV hasn't even started ...

King Han Gan - Rotterdam, The Netherlands

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (10/16/89)

>But Japanese and European manufacturers already have
>working HDTV and Zenith still has to develop theirs. I should think
>their *too late* for HDTV.

  HDTV recquires a wider bandwidth which is not available in
the US due to use of the bandwidth by companies, cellular,
etc.  So a method of producing an HD picture has to be
developed which will fit in the existing bandwidth or one that
is only slightly larger, AND that same signal must also be
compatible with the old type of signal because there isn't
room for transmitting two signals for each station (or
companies/government don't want to make room :-).  Zenith is
only slightly behind right now, and could pass the Japanese
with a concerted effort on their part.

                                         -Eric Bales-
                                        Carnegie Mellon

Disclaimer:  I know nothing!

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (10/16/89)

In article <8ZCCaG200WI9MMD0YQ@andrew.cmu.edu> eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) writes:
-  HDTV recquires a wider bandwidth which is not available in
-the US due to use of the bandwidth by companies, cellular,

Sorry, but this is a stupid remark.  Bandwidth is restricted only if you
insist on broadcasting over the airwaves.  Most people receive TV via cable,
where bandwith limits are not an issue.  And most people watch movies on
VCRs, where bandwidth -- again -- is not an issue.

No one really cares about watching "Family Feud" on HDTV.  What people want
on HDTV are movies, which are usually delivered on tape (or CD in the near
future).  Roll over, Zenith, here comes Sony.

The American consumer electronics industry *deserves* to die.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

In article <1465@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:

   The American consumer electronics industry *deserves* to die.

Zenith clearly disagrees with your conclusion.  If they *had* agreed, they
would have sold off the consumer electronics and kept ZDS.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

In article <8ZCCaG200WI9MMD0YQ@andrew.cmu.edu>, eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) writes:

|    HDTV recquires a wider bandwidth which is not available in
|  the US due to use of the bandwidth by companies, cellular,
|  etc.  So a method of producing an HD picture has to be
|  developed which will fit in the existing bandwidth or one that
|  is only slightly larger, AND that same signal must also be
|  compatible with the old type of signal because there isn't
|  room for transmitting two signals for each station (or
|  companies/government don't want to make room :-).

  That's the problem, the FCC. One company produced a prototype which
used two channels, one of which could be viewed by a conventional TV. It
was reportedly rejected because it took too much bandwidth. Another
showed a system to do HDTV in a conventional channel. It was rejected
because a conventional TV can't receive (or at least can't view) the
signal.

  The problem is like trying to develop a version of compress which will
let "cat" view the file, too. As long as the FCC wants to keep
compatible with a standard developed 50 years ago (or more), we will
waste time and effort trying to make a compromise. If we developed a new
standard we could add error correcting, too, and have really better
pictures.

  It is interesting to note that for TV the government says "we can't
make the old stuff obsolete," and for cars they say "cars designed for
unleaded gas are old anyway, they'll just be scrapped a little earlier."
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <1465@redsox.bsw.com>, campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:

|  Sorry, but this is a stupid remark.  Bandwidth is restricted only if you
|  insist on broadcasting over the airwaves.  Most people receive TV via cable,
|  where bandwith limits are not an issue.  And most people watch movies on
|  VCRs, where bandwidth -- again -- is not an issue.

  What an elitist yippie attitude. About 40% of the people in the
country don't have cable TV, or any chance of getting it in the near
future. And there are a lot of people who can't afford to pay $30/month
to get it if it was available. There are even more people who don't
have a VCR and have no intension of getting one. Don't be mislead by
the number of people and VCR's, the people who have one usually have a
few. I think between my kids and I we have, maybe, eleven?

  It will always be cheaper to broadcast signals than to run them by
cable, so braodcast TV will always be with us. Not that cable-only HDTV
is impossible, but it is only part of the market, therefore the price
has to be higher per unit to give a reasonable return on the costs.

|  No one really cares about watching "Family Feud" on HDTV.  What people want
|  on HDTV are movies, which are usually delivered on tape (or CD in the near
|  future).  Roll over, Zenith, here comes Sony.

  I think you missed this boat, too. What do people pay for on pay per
view TV? Movies? No, they buy a movie channel for that. Sports! Music!
People pay $20-50 per event to see these things, and they would
certainly spend the bucks to buy a new TV to see them better.

  I think that for movies there's a chance that the market won't develop
for something better, although if something better is in the home people
will use it. Look at the giant flop of commercial movies released on 8mm
film. The quality was a lot better than TV, at the time there were a lot
of people who had projectors and new ones were reliable and a lot
cheaper than VCRs. The whole thing was a total bomb. I really think that
without broadcast or cable as a source for programming, most people
won't buy a HDTV for movies only.
that the world is flat!" - anon

In article <NELSON.89Oct15232615@image.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
|  Zenith clearly disagrees with your conclusion.  If they *had* agreed, they
|  would have sold off the consumer electronics and kept ZDS.

  I heard that no one would buy CE because it was losing money.
that the world is flat!" - anon

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (10/17/89)

>Sorry, but this is a stupid remark.  Bandwidth is restricted only
>if you insist on broadcasting over the airwaves.  Most people
>receive TV via cable,where bandwith limits are not an issue.

  Sorry, but where I live (Akron/Canton Ohio) all homes have
cable service available, but only about 40% opt to get it
because it is expensive and there are many ( about 12 ) UHF
stations which broadcast movies, sports events, etc. that
would be nice to view with HD.  Also the three networks also
regularly broadcast movies.  I would like to be able to watch
these with HD, as I'm sure would many other people.

                                          -Eric Kirkbride-
                                           Carnegie Mellon

Disclaimer:  I said nothing...

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (10/17/89)

>As long as the FCC wants to keep compatible with a
>standard developed 50 years ago(or more), we will waste
>time and effort trying to make compromises

  The original standard forcolor television was also acompromise.  The

developers had to fit the information for color pixels in between
the black and white information so that everyone wouldn't have to buy
new TVs and they admitted at the time that this would cause
decrease in the picture quality.  At the time, no one cared.
They just wanted color television.
  I also would rather have a slight decrease in picture quality
to allow for compatibility with the old system, but not TOO much
of a decrease :-).

                                          -Eric Kirkbride-

Disclaimer:  I didn't think that people would actually READ this!!!

"I have a firm belief that all computers are the children of
Satan...", Shannon Cline

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/18/89)

I fail to see where the problem with bandwidth for HDTV lies, other
than with the FCC. There are 81 channels available, 6 MHz each.
Around here the following ones are used: 3, 12, 15, 17, 22, 27, 55.
Hmmmm --- that leaves 74 channels free. Say we use only UHF channels
for HDTV, and take 18 Mhz for a channel. 15 could expand to 14-15-16,
17 to 17-18-19, 22 to 20-21-22, 27 to 26-27-28, etc. That is 23
channels with 18 mhz each. A good HDTV transmission scheme would
use FM instead of AM so that the capture effect would allow stations
to be closer together (both in frequency and space.)

Besides - have you ever looked at the spectrum of the air with a
spectrum analyzer? I have - and, except for broadcast bands, CB, ham
bands, and things like taxi bands - there is GOBS of free space.
Vast areas of the upper reaches of the spectrum are completely empty.

Doug McDonald

joel@cfctech.UUCP (Joel Lessenberry) (10/18/89)

	you may not be aware of the fact, but there exists an international
	organization ICC i think, which allocates the RF spectrum to
	individual countries for their use, and keeps some portions for
	international services.  The last time I saw the allocation
	chart, every thing below about 2.5 gigs was all spoken for!

	As for widening existing channels, the FCC provides channel
	spacing, both logical and physical, to maintain a stations
	liscensed area of coverage with as little interference as
	possible.

	There are some fascinating problems when it comes down to
	analysing intermod caused by second, third, etc. adjacent
	channels.

joel
:
 Joel Lessenberry, Distributed Systems | +1 313 948 3342
 joel@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 joel%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!joel        | 2777 Franklin, Sfld, MI

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/18/89)

In article <110200016@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I fail to see where the problem with bandwidth for HDTV lies, other
>than with the FCC. There are 81 channels available, 6 MHz each.
>[...] Say we use only UHF channels
>for HDTV, and take 18 Mhz for a channel.

Well first not all channels are available. Stations using the same channel
have to be a large distance apart, and even those using adjacient channels
must be well separated. Most areas have used most if not all of their possible
channels.

The lets consider a "moral" issue. The radio frequencies are limited. Is
this a good use of bandwidth? A six megahertz TV channel has room for 30
FM radio channels or 600 AM radio channels. Is the information content of
one 18Mhz HDTV station worth 1800 AM radio stations? And just think of all
the ASCII data that could be transmitted over that bandwidth -- you could
continuously transmit all the news services for instant retrieval. I bet
you could transmit the entire contents of the Sunday New York Times in the
time of a single High Definition Ty-De-Bowl commercial.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

In article <110200016@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

|  Besides - have you ever looked at the spectrum of the air with a
|  spectrum analyzer? I have - and, except for broadcast bands, CB, ham
|  bands, and things like taxi bands - there is GOBS of free space.
|  Vast areas of the upper reaches of the spectrum are completely empty.

  The available frequencies are partitioned by international agreement,
then subdivided by the FCC. Just because *you* don't see anything there
doesn't mean it's available.
that the world is flat!" - anon

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (10/19/89)

In article <110200016@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes...

>I fail to see where the problem with bandwidth for HDTV lies, other
>than with the FCC. There are 81 channels available, 6 MHz each.
>Besides - have you ever looked at the spectrum of the air with a
>spectrum analyzer? I have - and, except for broadcast bands, CB, ham
>bands, and things like taxi bands - there is GOBS of free space.
>Vast areas of the upper reaches of the spectrum are completely empty.

This newsgroup is busy enough without digressions into HDTV and
spectrum managemement!  PLEASE!

For the record, there are only 67 TV channels in the US:  2-36 and
38-69.  There never was a Channel 37 (reserved for radio astronomy)
and the channels 70-83 were reallocated to mobile, including cellular
telephone, years ago.

Much of the "empty space" is reserved for military use, including
the huge 225-400 MHz military aviation band.  I'm sure that it's a
pathetically inefficient use of spectrum, but they've got the power.
And in any case, it's not relevant to pc's.
<end correction of digression>

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/19/89)

In article <110200016@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I fail to see where the problem with bandwidth for HDTV lies, other
>than with the FCC. There are 81 channels available, 6 MHz each.
>Around here the following ones are used: 3, 12, 15, 17, 22, 27, 55.

Well sure, you're in central Illinois.  Where I grew up in New Jersey, with a
pair of rabbit ears you can pick up channels 2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,11,12,13,
17,29,48,52,56, and bunch of other UHF channels that I forget.  In much of
the country the VHF spectrum is full.  There's a fair number of free UHF
channels, but just to cover New Jersey, a small and not particularly hilly
state, they need four separate transmitters on four separate channels.  If
they allocate three UHF channels at a shot for HDTV, the UHF spectrum will
fill up instantly.  If you go to high enough frequencies, there's unallocated
spectrum, but such frequencies propagate even worse than UHF, so you'd need
even more closely spaced transmitters.

NTSC video stinks, but finding spectrum space for anything else will be a
major problem.  Satellite broadcast on a small number of channels (which
avoids the line-of-sight problem and also much of the air attenuation
problem) may be the only possibility.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (10/20/89)

Just because Zenith CE is losing money doesn't mean they cannot turn
it around.

I read that Zenith practically invented (color?) television.  It's
gone from our collective memory now, but Zenith used to be as amazing
in television as Cray is in computers.  They were always the most
innovative company, and that is still evident, in light of their 14"
flat-screen color monitors.

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/20/89)

In article <75800071@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I read that Zenith practically invented (color?) television.  It's
>gone from our collective memory now, but Zenith used to be as amazing
>in television as Cray is in computers.  They were always the most
>innovative company [...]

Well I speak from experience, having repaired TV's for spending money in
the 60's (which means I repaired TV's made in the 50's and 40's too).

As far as B&W TV is concerned, by far the most advanced early TVs were
made by DuMont. In about 1967 I saw a working 1945 DuMont "teleset". This
set had all its original tubes including a 15" DuMont manufactured picture
tube (typical sets at the time were 5" or 7", or projection sets intended
for bars). The set had no vertical or horizontal hold controls because
it didn't need any (net people familiar with old TVs will appreciate the
significance of this). I saw an early 50's DuMont. It too was very overbuilt.
As far as I know (and I don't really know at all!) they went out of business
because they couldn't be price competitive with the sets of the day that
used half as many tubes.

Disregarding the abortive CBS color system which involved a spinning color
wheel in front of the screen (YES!), color TV as we know it was invented
by RCA, with the first "compatible" color TVs, with 15" screens, appearing
in 1953-54. I saw a '54 21" model ($1500 purchase price at the time) by
RCA that had 70 tubes. You could heat a house with it!

When other manufacturers joined in, they simply copied the RCA design --
once you knew how to repair an RCA color TV, you could repair them all,
*except* for Zenith. Zenith sets were completely different, which as far
as I was concerned made them a real ***** to repair. The one thing good
about them was that they didn't seem to break down often.

Zenith continued to use I-Q axis color demodulation long after RCA abandoned
it for cheaper, less satisfactory, methods. But on the other hand they
continued to use the "hand-crafted chassis" (read "point to point wired")
long after other manufactures switched to circuit boards.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply
(I should note that many, many years ago my employer, Tektronix, and DuMont
 were competitors in the scope market)