[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 4.0 and IBM Model 55 SX

ross@mscf.med.upenn.edu (10/18/89)

What are the main differences between DOS 3.3 and DOS 4.0?
Are there any bugs with 4.0 and is there any major PC software
that will not run under 4.0?

Also, any opinions on the IBM PS/2 Model 55SX?
Any real disadvantages to having a 16 bith 386 machine?

Is anybody doing anything real with Micro Channel?

Thanks for all assistance.
--

			--- Andy Ross ---
                    University of Pennsylvania

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (10/20/89)

	The diferences between 3.3 and 4.0 and many.  4.0 is bugging and
has a graphics window (ie - MS Windows without calling it that).

	The 80386SX is also a joke and MCA will most likely be dumped if
EISA ever catches on.

-bryon-

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (10/21/89)

In article <1211@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> wozniak@utkux1.cs.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) writes:

>	The diferences between 3.3 and 4.0 and many.  4.0 is bugging and
>has a graphics window (ie - MS Windows without calling it that).
>
>	The 80386SX is also a joke and MCA will most likely be dumped if
>EISA ever catches on.
>

>-bryon-

	In light of better ralations, I would like to append the above
statements...

	DOS 4.01 is supposed to have all the bugs worked out.  But given
IBM's track record, there is still something wrong with it.  (How about
longer file names?)

	MCA just does not have the support.  Of the three companies
(Dell, Tandy, and Apricot) only two hvave MCA machines available fot the
average Joe to see (this is of course 3rd party to IBM).  The Dell is
really not shipping, but Tandy claims you can buy theirs at any Radio
Shack, but who would want it (16Mhz 386)?  And the Apricot is a
pre-production 486 costing from $8000+.

	So there you have it.  Oh, EISA supports 32 bits, MCA only 24
(data bits for both, as according to Byte.)

	That is my unbiased "opinion."

-bryon-