[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is there such a thing as a serial port expander?

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (10/20/89)

	I have more serial devices than I have serial ports on my
computer. Sparing you the gory details, let's just say that I *cannot*
just buy a serial board and plug it into an unused slot. What I really
need is a smart T-switch: on one side it would plug into my computer's
serial port, on the other side two or more serial devices would plug into
*it*. Based on, say, an escape code from the computer, the switch would
connect one of the devices to the computer's serial port. Does such a
thing exist?

	Let me point out that I do *not* want the reverse of this setup --
i.e., a "printer sharer", which connects two computers to one serial
device.

	Go ahead, make my day -- tell me where I can find such a beast!:
--
Dr. William Busa, Dept. of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Charles
& 34th Sts., Baltimore, MD 21218              (301) 338-8207

bio_zwbb@jhun;ix.hcf.jhu.edu                 uunet!mimsy!jhunix!bio_zwbb

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (10/21/89)

In article <3014@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) writes:

> 	I have more serial devices than I have serial ports on my
> computer. Sparing you the gory details, let's just say that I *cannot*
> just buy a serial board and plug it into an unused slot. What I really
> need is a smart T-switch: on one side it would plug into my computer's
> serial port, on the other side two or more serial devices would plug into
> *it*. Based on, say, an escape code from the computer, the switch would
Sounds to me like all you need is a serial expansion board, such
as the one made by Arnet which (depending on the operating sys) will
recognize up to 16 ports per UART i/o address. Under certain operating
systems (DOS) you will need to order the drivers that allow you to
simply specify COM4-COM7 or 11 (depending on whether it is a 4 or
8 port model) respectively in your software.

However, some operating sytems (sco xenix for example) include
support for several different brands of serial expansion board.

So, find out what your operating system will support then what
your application will support and do a little homework.

I'm not affiliated with Arnet, just a satisfied user.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP