[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Removable Hard disks

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) (10/20/89)

I'm looking for information on removable hard disks for a 386 clone
running DOS. I'm interested in both speed and reliability. I'm familiar
with Travel Disks and Imoega's Bernoulli drives, but they're too slow. I
also know about SYSGEN drives, but they're *very* unreliable. I've seen
ads for Disk Pack by Megadrive, but have no idea about their speed or
reliability. The Disk Pack is a SCSI drive but I'm not sure what that really
translates to as far as data transfer rates are concernd. Are there any
other drives that I might have overlooked?

Ideally what I want is:
  40-84 Mbyte unit capacity
  28 ms or better access time
  1:1 interleave, SCSI, ESDI, etc. performance
  true performane of 500Kbytes/sec transfer rate or better

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (10/21/89)

In article <2648@hydra.gatech.EDU> bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (BOSTATER,Scott) writes:
>I'm looking for information on removable hard disks for a 386 clone
>running DOS. I'm interested in both speed and reliability.
>--
>Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
>"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1
>uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!bb16
>Internet: bb16@prism.gatech.edu

   Have you looked at Tandon? They make some sort of removable hard disk
packs. Don't know what the performance is like, but they claim the packs
are rated for impacts up to 1000G. Then again, I heard a rumor that the
president of the company (or some such) dropped one at a press
conference to demonstrate the impact resistance and it wouldn't work
afterward...

   Random bits from...

--
James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET
   ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa   Compu$erve: 71261,1731