[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 2400 baud modem info request

jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) (10/18/89)

I'm interested in information on cheap but reliable 2400 baud modems.
Are there any that are particular good?  Are there those that one should
stay away from at all costs?  I am interested in external modems only.

Thanks very much (and I'll be glad to accumulate responses and forward
them on to interested parties, if any)

--

Jay Elvove       jay@umd5.umd.edu
c/o Academic Software

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (10/18/89)

In article <5481@umd5.umd.edu> jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:
>I'm interested in information on cheap but reliable 2400 baud modems.
>Are there any that are particular good?  Are there those that one should
>stay away from at all costs?  I am interested in external modems only.

I just bought a super cheapo 2400 baud modem from Jade computer. It
was $88 for the internal version, plus $5 shipping. Yes, there's an
external version for a few bucks more. It seems to be an orphan; Jade
says it is a "Cardinal" modem but the package and the documentation is
completely anonymous (!) It comes with a 2 year warrantee which is
interesting because it says "manufacturer will replace..." without
specifying exactly who the manufacturer is :-) I bought it because (a)
Jade is very reputable; I trust that I will not have problems with
them; also (b) by buying it with American Express I get a _three_ year
warrantee plus some added security.

ANYWAY, the modem is, believe it or not, excellent! For a no-frills
modem it works much, much better than a 47 st. photo (MAXUM) modem I
used to have (that broke 1 week after the warrantee expired). There is
virtually nil line noise, and I know that I've been using noisy lines.
Hayes compatibility is the usual superset; COM1-4 are supported,
internal speaker, modem can be used as autodialer (I just wrote a
kermit script to dial up my bank and transfer money. The speaker is
good enough to hear my balance clearly!).

Despite the suspiciousness of the lack of a real, named manufacturer
with an address, I would recommend this modem. But buy it with a
credit card!

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1538 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (10/19/89)

In article <5481@umd5.umd.edu> jay@umd5.umd.edu (Jay Elvove) writes:
>I'm interested in information on cheap but reliable 2400 baud modems.
>Are there any that are particular good?  Are there those that one should
>stay away from at all costs?  I am interested in external modems only.

I have a modem made by Zoom Telephonics. I mail ordered it from them. They're
in Boston, MA. It cost me $129. It came with a licensed version of ProComm
version 2.4.2. It has a 7 year warranty. I don't know if the price I paid
is considered 'cheap', but it sure isn't expensive when compared to others
such as Hayes or US Robotics. The way I see it is that they took the
internal version of the board, mounted it sideways, added a power connection,
added LEDs, put it in a plastic (cheaper I guess) box, and voila! It works
just fine.

----
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"

jlg0805@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/20/89)

I just bought one from On_Line Store $82 ($69+ shipping and handling, etc).
I have not had any trouble yet, (I only use it to log in mainfram on campus
though).  It is  a generic modem w/o specifying manufacturor.  But if you
mention Byte magazine Sept. issue you can get 5 years warranty (Otherwise
it will be 2yrs). Phone number is 1-805/650-0188.  Hope it helps.

J.Liang

                ------------An authentic People's China will be born soon

copp@wind.bellcore.com (David H Copp) (10/21/89)

I bought a Cardinal 300-600-1200-2400 internal modem for my XT-clone.
It comes with FLASHlink software that among other things simulates MNP
through level 5 (optionally).  Very happy with both hardware and software.
Paid $82 at a computer fair.

				David H. Copp
				(201) 829-4337
				copp@bellcore.com