[comp.sys.ibm.pc] LJ II Printer Sharing

kc@rna.UUCP (Kaare Christian) (10/20/89)

  In a Global catalog I noticed a printer sharing device that slips into
a LaserJet II I/O slot. This particular device has 4 RJ11 serial
input ports and one standard parallel input port, 256K mem, and lists for $449.
Does anyone have experience with this, and does anyone know of other
suppliers? (I've noticed an inferior-looking 3-port device from Misco.)
  Similarly, does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive automatic
printer sharing switch that has both serial and parallel inputs, and a
parallel output?
Kaare Christian
kc@rna.rockefeller.edu

jstrawbr@kean.mun.ca (Jack Strawbridge) (10/21/89)

In article <818@rna.UUCP>, kc@rna.UUCP (Kaare Christian) writes:
>   In a Global catalog I noticed a printer sharing device that slips into
> a LaserJet II I/O slot. This particular device has 4 RJ11 serial
> input ports and one standard parallel input port, 256K mem, and lists for $449.
> Does anyone have experience with this, and does anyone know of other
> suppliers? (I've noticed an inferior-looking 3-port device from Misco.)
>   Similarly, does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive automatic
> printer sharing switch that has both serial and parallel inputs, and a
> parallel output?
> Kaare Christian
> kc@rna.rockefeller.edu
It is very hard to beat the Logical Connection.  It comes in 512K and
1024K versions.  We've been running one for over a year with four
computers sharing LaserJet II and it has performed flawlessly.  It is
smart enough to do a page eject when in doubt which results in quite a
few blank pages coming through but that is preferable to two jobs
printing on the same page which almost never happens.  Highly
recommended.