[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Backing up PC's over a network?

malc@tahoe.unr.edu (Malcolm L. Carlock) (10/11/89)

It looks as if we will soon have a number of MS-DOS PC's attached to our
TCP/IP network here, and there is some interest in backing up these PC's
onto a central, networked tape drive or drives.  My questions:

- Are there any packages allowing full and incremental backups/restores
  of MS-DOS machines over a TCP/IP network to a tape drive

  - on a remote Unix system ?

  - on a remote MS-DOS system ?

I'd be interested in both recommendations and experiences regarding such
software (if it exists...)  I will summarize email responses to the net.

I would also be interested in hearing any folkore regarding doing such
things over Novell networks, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Malcolm L. Carlock

malc@unrvax.unr.edu
uunet!unrvax!malc

In article <3029@tahoe.unr.edu> malc@tahoe.unr.edu (Malcolm L. Carlock) writes:
>It looks as if we will soon have a number of MS-DOS PC's attached to our
>TCP/IP network here, and there is some interest in backing up these PC's
>onto a central, networked tape drive or drives.  My questions:

>I would also be interested in hearing any folkore regarding doing such
>things over Novell networks, etc.

I just tried something that I didn't expect to work using AT&T's starlan
DOS server.  I made a link from /dev/rmt/c0s0 (a 125M streaming tape
in a 386 unix server) to a file named "tape" in my home directory which
is linked as drive H: to a PC on the network.  From the PC, I used
GNUtar (compiled for DOS) and from drive C: (local hard disk) executed:
tar cvf h:tape .
and it actually created a tape that I could read back under dos or
unix.  Amazing... and I was just about to waste a month or so cobbling
up some kind of netbios<->tli connection to do exactly that.

Les Mikesell

dab@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Bridgham) (10/13/89)

FTP's PC/TCP also provides a way to backup PC's over the net.  If your
unix machine is a berkeley derivative (i.e. has rexec or rsh and rmt)
then you can backup directly to a tape (or file) using the tar
program.  It also can do a form of incremental backup.  The
incremental backup was supposed to be patterned after unix's
backup/restore, but I didn't understand fully and it's a little
different.  Quite usable, but potentially confusing to people who are
used to unix.
						David Bridgham

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (10/19/89)

In article <9792@chinet.chi.il.us> Les Mikesell writes:

>I just tried something that I didn't expect to work using AT&T's starlan
>DOS server.  I made a link from /dev/rmt/c0s0 (a 125M streaming tape
>in a 386 unix server) to a file named "tape" in my home directory which
>is linked as drive H: to a PC on the network.  From the PC, I used
>GNUtar (compiled for DOS) and from drive C: (local hard disk) executed:
>tar cvf h:tape .
>and it actually created a tape that I could read back under dos or
>unix.  Amazing... and I was just about to waste a month or so cobbling
>up some kind of netbios<->tli connection to do exactly that.

I just tried the same with an AT386Clone (Intel 301-based) running AT&T
SysVR3.2 with Wollongong TCP/IP and their NFS for the server and another
AT386Clone (Everex STEP/25) running DOS3.3 and Sun's PC-NFS.  I got what
Les expected: it didn't work...

Firstly, the first UNIX system had /usr and root as separate file system. so
I couldn't create the link from /usr/me/tape to /dev/rmt/c0s0.  Additionally,
that system didn't have the Wollongong NFS installed  on it, either and
when I tried to install it the X11.3 conflicted with it.  So I decided to
(just?) rebuild the system from scratch with root and usr on the same
filesystem and without the X Windows...

OK, got that done, and install the Wollong TCP/IP and NFS packages.  Make
the link from /usr/me/tape to /dev/rmt/c0s0 (and tapen --> c0s0n).  Turn
back to the DOS/PC-NFS machine to see what I can do.  Not much...  The files
"tape" and "tapen" simply don't exist, EXCEPT that I can't create a file named
tape or tapen in the /usr/me directory, so it kinda' knows it's there.  Dir,
ls, and PC-NFS's "ls" command all fail to report the presence of the "tape"
file.

OK, maybe its 'cuz I'm still running version 3.0 PC-NFS.  Dig out the 3.01
release and do the upgrade.  Finally get that done, except that unfortunately
I had copied - and was using - some (incompatible, as it turns out) 3.0
utilities (in aliases) so I spent the morning re-installing 3.0 AND 3.01
again to get that resolved.

But in the end I'm unable to even SEE my tape file/link from the PC, much
less tar or cpio into it.  I can cpio to a "real" file on the remote
directory (and the UNIX cpio reads it with a "lost file header" error at
the end of the extraction - everything looks ok...)

Anyway, Les has had better luck than I.  Must be that the Starlan is a DOS
server?  Any suggestions?  Is it hopeless?

kEITHe

In article <6183@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:

>OK, got that done, and install the Wollong TCP/IP and NFS packages.  Make
>the link from /usr/me/tape to /dev/rmt/c0s0 (and tapen --> c0s0n).  Turn
>back to the DOS/PC-NFS machine to see what I can do.  Not much...  The files
>"tape" and "tapen" simply don't exist, EXCEPT that I can't create a file named
>tape or tapen in the /usr/me directory, so it kinda' knows it's there.  Dir,
>ls, and PC-NFS's "ls" command all fail to report the presence of the "tape"
>file.

How about FIFO's?  Can you:
/etc/mknod fifo p
and see the resulting fifo from the DOS machine?  If so, you might be
able to execute:
dd <fifo >/dev/rmt/c0s0   from unix
and write into the fifo from dos  (reverse to read).
This was the approach that I tried first, but the Starlan Dos server
apparently sets the O_NDELAY mode which makes a write() return with
an error if the pipe fills instead of waiting for the process on the
other end to catch up (pretty useless IMHO).  I would prefer to
use something like that because it would allow talking to an arbitrary
unix program from any dos program that reads/writes files sequentially,
and in the case of the tape drive it would allow reasonable block sizes
to be used to keep the tape streaming longer.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (10/23/89)

)
)I just tried the same with an AT386Clone (Intel 301-based) running AT&T
)SysVR3.2 with Wollongong TCP/IP and their NFS for the server and another
)AT386Clone (Everex STEP/25) running DOS3.3 and Sun's PC-NFS.  I got what
)Les expected: it didn't work...
)
)Firstly, the first UNIX system had /usr and root as separate file system. so
)I couldn't create the link from /usr/me/tape to /dev/rmt/c0s0.  Additionally,
)that system didn't have the Wollongong NFS installed  on it, either and
)when I tried to install it the X11.3 conflicted with it.  So I decided to
)(just?) rebuild the system from scratch with root and usr on the same
)filesystem and without the X Windows...

	A small point: UNIX shouldn't care whether the tape device is called
/dev/rmt/c0s0 or /usr/me/tape. Instead of trying to link them, which you can't
across filesystems, just make another inode called /usr/me/tape as a duplicate
of /dev/rmt/c0s0: /etc/mknod /usr/me/tape c ## ##. No need to make root and /usr
the same filesystem.
	It sounds like Starlan DOS server supports device sharing, even if
inadvertently, while Wollongong doesn't and assumes any special UNIX files
(devices, fifo's, etc) should be hidden from DOS... too bad.