[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Super VGA Standard

loranb@sco.COM (Loran Ball) (10/17/89)

Does anyone know if the Super VGA standard has been finalized yet?
If it has, where can I get a copy of this spec?
Which manufacturer's boards support this new standard?

Thanks,

-loranb (uunet!sco!loranb    loranb@sco.COM)

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (10/19/89)

In article <3458@scolex.sco.COM>, loranb@sco.COM (Loran Ball) writes:
> Does anyone know if the Super VGA standard has been finalized yet?

Nope, it is very close, and we hope to pass it up to the full VESA meeting
sometime early next year (and they will make it final).  I will probably
post a summary of the results of our next meeting sortly after we have it.

I am a bit out of date since I missed the last two technical meetings, but
we are making a lot of progress -- the standard should handle any board
currently in production, and it should allow for virtually any resolutions
we might want.  STB is committed to supporting the standard, as are Orchid,
Video 7/Headland Technologies, ATI, and several others participating in the
meetings.  I expect we will have upgrade BIOSes for our current cards out
within 4-6 months of the spec release.

One major feature that I hope makes it through is the ability to use some
parts of the BIOS in protected mode (without the overhead of ABIOS) -- this
may make support of higher resolution graphics modes more board independent
in future versions of Xenix, et al.  (The procedure involves optional copying
of small blocks of code from the BIOS into the executable code segment of the
operating system, so changing the card results in changing the code.)

Charles
> If it has, where can I get a copy of this spec?
> Which manufacturer's boards support this new standard?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -loranb (uunet!sco!loranb    loranb@sco.COM)

"Those who would sacrifice **  Charles Marslett
liberty for security,      **  STB Systems, Inc. <-- apply all std. disclaimers
deserve neither."          **  Wordmark Systems  <-- that's just me
  -- Benjamin Franklin     **  chasm\@attctc.dallas.tx.us

P.S. The one line about STB supporting the VGA 2.0 standard (super VGA standard)
is the party line -- an official statement.

loranb@sco.COM (Loran Ball) (10/21/89)

In article <9777@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
>One major feature that I hope makes it through is the ability to use some
>parts of the BIOS in protected mode (without the overhead of ABIOS) -- this
>may make support of higher resolution graphics modes more board independent
>in future versions of Xenix, et al.  (The procedure involves optional copying
>of small blocks of code from the BIOS into the executable code segment of the
>operating system, so changing the card results in changing the code.)

Besides running in protected mode, BIOS must be re-entrant for Xenix to
use it.  Xenix doesn't use any BIOS provided on PC/AT motherboards
or expansion boards.  We can do this because the hardware is all standardized
at the register level.

I'm not a member of VEGA, but the only way I can envision the new BIOS
standard supporting DOS and Xenix/Unix environments properly is to have
two versions of it on the VGA adapter.  A non-reentrant, real mode version
for DOS and a reentrant, protected mode version for Xenix/Unix.

Loran Ball (loranb)		uunet!sco!loranb	loranb@sco.COM

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (10/23/89)

In article <3464@scolex.sco.COM>, loranb@sco.COM (Loran Ball) writes:
> Besides running in protected mode, BIOS must be re-entrant for Xenix to
> use it.  Xenix doesn't use any BIOS provided on PC/AT motherboards
> or expansion boards.  We can do this because the hardware is all standardized
> at the register level.
>
> I'm not a member of VEGA, but the only way I can envision the new BIOS
> standard supporting DOS and Xenix/Unix environments properly is to have
> two versions of it on the VGA adapter.  A non-reentrant, real mode version
> for DOS and a reentrant, protected mode version for Xenix/Unix.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here . . . DOS need not run non-reentrant
code, in fact most of the code I run under Unix also runs under DOS quite well
(most was even written originally for DOS).  The only problem we forsaw, and
the only one we tried to address is the fact that protected mode OSs have a bad
habit of disallowing (concurrent) access to the BIOS ROM area.  The routines
needed to make the I/O hardware independent are of the form:

     do a bit of register-to-register manipulation, perhaps using the stack
     OUT  DX,AL
     do a bit more
     OUT  DX,AL
     prehaps access the video memory segment (using a preloaded ES?)
     RET (far) or IRET

Such code is quite compatible with DOS and protected mode OSs.  It is a very
small subset of the IBMish ABIOS in terms of functionality and in terms of
effort required of the BIOS writer and of the OS driver writer.  So I like it.

The code can be copies into an OS code segment if desired, and the return
patched to a "near" one, or it may be executed in place (often slower, because
the ROM is on the bus, perhaps byte wide, but certainly not as convenient
or as fast as motherboard RAM).