[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SuperVGA monitor/card

celt@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Minakami) (10/09/89)

I'm looking for a monitor/card combination that will support 1024x768
VGA graphics. I've more or less decided on the Seiko 1430 monitor but am
still looking at various cards. Can anyone recommend one? Also, has
anyone used an ATI VGA Wonder? How will it perform in 1024x768 mode
(# of colors, etc.) Please reply through net-mail.

| "Control is not convinced, but the  |  Michael K. Minakami               |
|  computer has the evidence...       |  celt@portia.stanford.edu          |
|  no need to abort."                 |                                    |

wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) (10/13/89)

Hello,
     I suppose choosing a SuperVGA card is a fairly difficult task

since there are so many different combinations.  Unfortunatly there
isn't a standard as of yet, so we will have to live with software drivers.
I also like the Seiko 1430 14" VGA monitor.  Sounds very nice.
     About the ATI VGA WonderCard; it is a great card but it only does

1024x768 INTERLACED.  You may want to look into a card which does a
true 1024x768.  If you do choose a 1024x768 card, remember to get a
512k version.  I have heard some rumours about a 1024x768x256 card
coming out holding about 1 meg of video memory.  Maybe you'll want
to wait for that?
     I really can't recommend another, but I thought I would tell you

a bit 'bout the ATI card.

                                Wayne

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: MeTaStAsIo'S -`Not ready error reading drive A' (416)487-9093 (1:250/526)

In article <89101307090621@masnet.uucp>, wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) writes:
|       About the ATI VGA WonderCard; it is a great card but it only does
|  1024x768 INTERLACED.  You may want to look into a card which does a
|  true 1024x768.

  Be VERY sure you have a monitor which will handle non-interlaced
before you get the card. The interlaced monitors are usually much
cheaper, although there's no doubt that the non-interlaced does look
great.

  One other note, if you plan to take pictures of your display, the
Zenith flat tension mask monitor, with true flat screen, makes this a
lot easier.
that the world is flat!" - anon

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (10/17/89)

In article <89101307090621@masnet.uucp> wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) writes:
>I also like the Seiko 1430 14" VGA monitor.  Sounds very nice.

   It's a very nice monitor. Good resolution, good color rendition. Once
it's warmed up -- when just started, red and orange are nearly
indistinguishable. After ten or fifteen minutes, they're very distinct.

>     About the ATI VGA WonderCard; it is a great card but it only does
>1024x768 INTERLACED.  You may want to look into a card which does a

   Hm. I have an ATI VGA Wonder 512K, and it was my impression that it
does 1024x768 straight, not interlaced. I don't think the Seiko monitor
can handle interlace. I'll have to check the manuals...

>  I have heard some rumours about a 1024x768x256 card
>coming out holding about 1 meg of video memory.  Maybe you'll want
>to wait for that?

   The IBM 8514 adapter has 1 meg and does 1024x768@256, INTERLACED. It
also has an onboard coprocessor. Officially, you aren't supposed to do
direct screen writes, you're supposed to talk to the coprocessor. Rumor
has it that it's faster to bypass the coprocessor, at least on a fast
machine. Anybody know for sure?

--
James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET
   ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa   Compu$erve: 71261,1731

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (10/18/89)

>   Hm. I have an ATI VGA Wonder 512K, and it was my impression that it
>does 1024x768 straight, not interlaced. I don't think the Seiko monitor
>can handle interlace. I'll have to check the manuals...

	The Seiko monitor has a 8514/a mode which is the 1024x786 mode. This
	monitor is INTERLACED  The manual I have for the ATI VGA Wonder says
	that it is also INTERLACED.  This is what I hate  about those big
	reviews in PC Magazine.  They compare the VRAM and the ATI Wonder and
	then say that the vrams on the VGA VRAM do not help make it any faster.
	They fail to mention that the VRAM is NON-INTERLACED.

>>  I have heard some rumours about a 1024x768x256 card
>>coming out holding about 1 meg of video memory.  Maybe you'll want
>>to wait for that?
	NEC has a card with the TI34010 graphics co-processor on it that will
	do 1024x767x256. I believe it costs about $1200. A 1024x768x16 version
	is availiable for about $800.

>   The IBM 8514 adapter has 1 meg and does 1024x768@256, INTERLACED. It
>also has an onboard coprocessor.
	The 8514 "standard" specifies INTERLLACED.

	The only card I know that will do 1024x768x16 NON-INTERLACED is the
	VGA VRAM. Of course there are probably others.

	Now, I want to know if the Mitsubishi FA3425L9 is interlaced or
	non-interlaced.  If it is non-interlaced this would be a fantastic
	monitor.  BTW, non-interlaced is what you want.  It kind of sounds
	like want you don't want with that _non_ in front.

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) (10/21/89)

> |       About the ATI VGA WonderCard; it is a great card but it only does
> |  1024x768 INTERLACED.  You may want to look into a card which does a
> |  true 1024x768.
>
>   Be VERY sure you have a monitor which will handle non-interlaced
> before you get the card. The interlaced monitors are usually much

	Remember that these boards are doing 70Hz interlace not 60Hz
	interlace like an Amiga.  The interlace is just barely noticeable.
	A very acceptible tradeoff between price-performance.
Rich Commins   (415)939-2400				          \  /\
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598    \/--\
{ptsfa,lll-crg,zehntel,dual,amd,fortune,ista,rtech,csi,normac}varian!richc

ngeow@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Yee Ngeow) (10/22/89)

In article <4221@vaxwaller.UUCP> richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
>> |       About the ATI VGA WonderCard; it is a great card but it only does
>> |  1024x768 INTERLACED.  You may want to look into a card which does a
>> |  true 1024x768.
>>
>>   Be VERY sure you have a monitor which will handle non-interlaced
>> before you get the card. The interlaced monitors are usually much
>>
>	Remember that these boards are doing 70Hz interlace not 60Hz
>	interlace like an Amiga.  The interlace is just barely noticeable.
>	A very acceptible tradeoff between price-performance.

This depends on what kind of graphics application you use. On word processing,
the interlace is virtually non-existent. On CAD/CAM jobs it can be very annoying
to the point of unusable. This all depends on many factors, including the
brightness of the screen (lower brightness reduce flickers), type of lines,
thickness and frequency of single lines/pixel.

Overall I don't think the 8514/A is worth it. Get the real non-interlace one
if you can afford it.

Kwong

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (10/23/89)

In article <4221@vaxwaller.UUCP>, richc@vaxwaller.UUCP (Rich Commins) writes:
:: > |       About the ATI VGA WonderCard; it is a great card but it only does
:: > |  1024x768 INTERLACED.  You may want to look into a card which does a
:: > |  true 1024x768.
:: >
:: >   Be VERY sure you have a monitor which will handle non-interlaced
:: > before you get the card. The interlaced monitors are usually much
:: >
:: 	Remember that these boards are doing 70Hz interlace not 60Hz
:: 	interlace like an Amiga.  The interlace is just barely noticeable.

The actual interlace rate on the fixed frequency interlaced monitors is
96 Hz (for the field rate), and 48 Hz for the frame rate, compared to
traditional (as the Amiga) interlaced displays with a 60 Hz (field rate)
vertical rate, and a 30 Hz frame rate.

Charles Marslett