[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HARDCARD 1701

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (10/20/89)

I have started seeing this error message on my 40meg
PLUS HARDCARD:
  1701(B) Controller Error
At this point, the harddisk 'light' signal in the top
right (mimics the LED) is on solid. Alt-Ctrl-DEL doesn't
help. A power off/on is required.

It tends to happen with the copy command but I have determined
that the file(s) themselves are quite readable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
joec@morgan.com

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/22/89)

In article <457@ringwood.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>I have started seeing this error message on my 40meg
>PLUS HARDCARD:
>  1701(B) Controller Error
>At this point, the harddisk 'light' signal in the top
>right (mimics the LED) is on solid. Alt-Ctrl-DEL doesn't
>help. A power off/on is required.
>
>It tends to happen with the copy command but I have determined
>that the file(s) themselves are quite readable.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>joec@morgan.com

     Run, do NOT walk, to your hard drive backup facilities and utilize
them IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait a second. Do it NOW.

     It would appear that the low-level formatting on the drive
is beginning to weaken. 1701 is a general drive failure code and
is BAD NEWS. Reformat that drive after backing it up. Not just
"Format C:" but a low-level format. If you don't know how to do
that, contact the manufacturer.

     People, when you get errors like this on boot-up, particularly
after many weeks/months/years of faithful service, your computer is
trying to tell you something is very wrong. Those built-in
diagnostics are there for a reason: so you find out that you need
to re-format BEFORE you actually need to do it!

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/23/89)

In article <457@ringwood.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>I have started seeing this error message on my 40meg

Okay, how about this: I am writing a program for Micros**t Windows.

When I put a bug in the program (Often!) Windows dies and it is the
big black  (this is a Dell 310 with a 150 meg hard disk) switch.
When I turn it back on, it says "configuration error - run setup" and
double beeps. When I turn it off again and back on, all is normal.
I can't find anything else wrong with the machine - no disk files
get corrupted- nothing wrong.

When I turn it off normally and back on, it works right.

What is going on?

Doug McDonald

mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Richey) (10/24/89)

#

#     Run, do NOT walk, to your hard drive backup facilities and utilize
#them IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait a second. Do it NOW.
#
#     It would appear that the low-level formatting on the drive
#is beginning to weaken. 1701 is a general drive failure code and
#is BAD NEWS. Reformat that drive after backing it up. Not just
#"Format C:" but a low-level format. If you don't know how to do
#that, contact the manufacturer.
#

# People, when you get errors like this on boot-up, particularly
#after many weeks/months/years of faithful service, your computer is
#trying to tell you something is very wrong. Those built-in
#diagnostics are there for a reason: so you find out that you need
#to re-format BEFORE you actually need to do it!

The Bios on the Plus Hard controller will not allow you to low level
format the disk. So that suggestion is out. When did you purchase you PLUS?
Since about Jan 1989 PLus has been offering 2 year warranty on their products.
But you're going to have to have the original paperwork from your dealer, and
you'll have to do to an AUTHORIZED Plus dealer to handle the warranty exchange.

Good luck

Michael S. Richey    Internet: mrichey@orion.oac.uci.edu
Bitnet: MRichey@UCI  CompuServe: 71650,3132    Voice: (714) 856-8374
University of California, Irvine    Network and Telecommunications Services
342 Computer Science      Irvine,   CA  92717