[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ftp *.*.Z files?

amscaini@rose.waterloo.edu (Allan Scaini) (10/19/89)

This is my first posting, hope it came out okay.
Anyway here's my problem.  I've just starting using FTP and dialed
up  cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu [128.146.8.62] and found a bunch of neat
sounding stuff that I tried to download (using tenex). The files have the
following format:  cribbage.1.Z , cribbage.2.Z , etc..

What exactly is this .Z stuff?  How do I unarchive them?  I tried all the
party favourites like ZOO, ARC, UUDECODE, etc.. but none of them seemed to
work.  Would someone please be so kind as to guide a poor misguided soul
like me as to the proper techniques for getting these suckers down to my PC.

Very much appreciated in advance.  You can mail me direct if you like.
Thanks.
Allan Scaini       amscaini@rose.waterloo.edu

 Allan Scaini University of Waterloo
  dasdasdsaasd asdads

kristyn@aludra.usc.edu (KRISTYN GREENWOOD) (10/24/89)

In article <17366@watdragon.waterloo.edu> amscaini@rose.waterloo.edu (Allan Scaini) writes:
>This is my first posting, hope it came out okay.
>Anyway here's my problem.  I've just starting using FTP and dialed
>up  cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu [128.146.8.62] and found a bunch of neat
>sounding stuff that I tried to download (using tenex). The files have the
>following format:  cribbage.1.Z , cribbage.2.Z , etc..
>
>What exactly is this .Z stuff?  How do I unarchive them?  I tried all the
>party favourites like ZOO, ARC, UUDECODE, etc.. but none of them seemed to
>work.  Would someone please be so kind as to guide a poor misguided soul
>like me as to the proper techniques for getting these suckers down to my PC.

  The files are 'compressed'. you will need to obtain a copy of 'uncompress'
 to unsquish the files. If you can arrange it to where you can work on
 a unix system, you could uncompress(its a standard utility) the files there
 and then download them to your system.

  Disclaimer - Hey dont blame them, I just rent this space.

  Glenn Schmall  -- !ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!astroid