[comp.sys.ibm.pc] nroff program for pc

rob@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Robert N. Bernard) (10/09/89)

Is there a program available for a pc that prints nroff files
(including the s macros) to a Canon laser printer or a cheap Epson?
I realize that there are "easy" ways to achieve this (e.g. uploading
to a mini/mainframe and printing from there), but I need something
for my pc specifically.

I do not read this group, so please e-mail replies.  If this has been
discussed earlier, forgive me.  Thanks for any help.

Robert N. Bernard                "That's life, and that's what life is."
bernard@clipr.colorado.edu       "I don't have to tell you how to run my life."
rob@homeboy.colorado.edu                                    - Andrew C. Wilson

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (10/16/89)

In article <12496@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, rob@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Robert N. Bernard) writes:
> Is there a program available for a pc that prints nroff files
> (including the s macros) to a Canon laser printer or a cheap Epson?

A company called Elan Computer Group sold a product called NROFF/PC,
and another called Eroff (a troff port or reimplementation to MS-DOS).
Mortice Kern Systems (makers of the MKS Toolkit) sold a package called
MKS/SQPS, an MS-DOS port of the Documentor's Workbench 2.0.  It's not
clear if any of these included the -ms macros.

This is from the Winter (first quarter) 1989 Programmer's Connection
catalog.  The Fall catalog doesn't list any of these products (or Elan
at all).  I have no contact information for Elan.  MKS can be reached
at inquiry@mks.com (I think).

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (10/17/89)

In article Paul S. R. Chisholm writes:
>> Is there a program available for a pc that prints nroff files
>> (including the s macros) to a Canon laser printer or a cheap Epson?
>
>A company called Elan Computer Group sold a product called NROFF/PC...
>                                                               It's not
>clear if any of these included the -ms macros.

I incorporated some locally-created ms-style macros into my NROFF/PC and
they worked quite well with an Epson or clone.

But I use WordPerfect for almost everything - except man pages - now.

kEITHe

pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) (10/21/89)

>>at all).  I have no contact information for Elan.  MKS can be reached
>> Robert N. Bernard, bernard@clipr.colorado.edu, rob@homeboy.colorado.edu

   The address for Elan is (from the front of their manual)

                     Elan Computer Group, Inc.
                  410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
                       Palo Alto, CA 94306
                     Telephone: 415-322-2450
                         Fax: 415-322-1915

    Just a happy customer. ;)

jlo@elan.elan.com (Jeff Lo) (10/24/89)

In article <1400007@hp-ptp.HP.COM> pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:
>>>at all).  I have no contact information for Elan.  MKS can be reached
>>> Robert N. Bernard, bernard@clipr.colorado.edu, rob@homeboy.colorado.edu
>

>   The address for Elan is (from the front of their manual)
>
>    Just a happy customer. ;)

Elan has moved.  The address given in Paul's article is no longer
current.  The correct address is:

	Elan Computer Group, Inc.
	888 Villa Street, Third Floor
	Mountain View, CA 94041