[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CITIZEN 120D Printer Problem

jalbert@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Francois Jalbert) (10/24/89)

Hi everybody. I have a problem with a Citizen 120D printer bought
in 1987. I strongly suspect I have either a hardware problem, or a
buggy ROM. Here is the story:

I use PC-Write 3.02 to create a small (10 lines) text justified flush
on both left and right margins with proportional fonts. The Citizen 120D
is set in IBM mode where the upper 128 characters come as foreign and
box characters, not as italics characters. The PC-Write ruler looks like

!pr.def
T-@10i---L------P---------------------------------------------J-------T
.R:V

The printer prints a few lines perfectly, but eventually dies with a
flashing ready light. PC-Write can slow down its transmissions to the
printer, but this doesn't help. I also redirected the output meant for
the printer into a file named DUMP.  I then sent that file to the
printer via COPY/B DUMP LPT1: but the printer hangs at the same place.

I then looked into the dumped file, but see nothing unusual where the
printer hangs. All commands found on the line where it hangs are also
present on previous lines that printed OK. PC-Write goes into
single-density graphic mode and then prints empty columns of graphics
in between words to micro-justify. Is it possible the Citizen 120D
is sensitive to frequent switches between graphics and text modes?
I also tried to print the dumped file on an EPSON FX-80 and it
prints perfectly.

My impression is that the Citizen is not consistent. Using the same set
of commands, it hangs when certain combinations are used on certain
columns. By fiddling with the text, one can fix the problem on the
troublesome line, but the printer eventually hangs again a couple of
lines later.

Has anybody ever had evidence that the Citizen 120D is buggy? If so, is
a replacement ROM available? Or must I assume I have a hardware problem?

Thank you very much for any comments. Franky

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (10/24/89)

jalbert@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Francois Jalbert) writes:

>The printer prints a few lines perfectly, but eventually dies with a
>flashing ready light.... I also redirected the output meant for
>the printer into a file named DUMP.  I then sent that file to the
>printer via COPY/B DUMP LPT1: but the printer hangs at the same place.

I had the same problem with my 120D and a 13Mhz cheapie clone. I called
Citizen tech service, and they suggested that my printer card was sending
data too fast to the printer. This hanging happened for me only in graphics
mode. I hit the toggle switch for turbo (too turn it off) and sure enough
the problem went away. Needless to say, this is nothing which can be
weasily fixed. The tech guy said that some cheapie clone printer board
manufacturers don't regulate the parallel signals well.

>My impression is that the Citizen is not consistent. Using the same set
>of commands, it hangs when certain combinations are used on certain
>columns. By fiddling with the text, one can fix the problem on the
>troublesome line, but the printer eventually hangs again a couple of
>lines later.

Mine was not consistent in where it hung, but like I said, slowing down the
computer during printing fixed it. I wouldn't blame Citizen for anything -
I have always had good luck with their equipment.

As usual, I have no connection with Ciitizen.....

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.