[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 32-bit Integer "C" Compiler?

les@uwovax.uwo.ca (10/20/89)

 Can anyone lead me to a "C" compiler that supports 32 bit integers for
386 machines?

 Thanks,
---
Les Flodrowski                                   CA: les@vaxi.uwo.CA
Social Science Computing Laboratory          Bitnet: les@uwovax.BITNET
University of Western Ontario                  UUCP: les@julian.UUCP
London, Ontario, Canada, N6A 5C2                     (...!watmath!julian..)

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/22/89)

In article <3949.253dd544@uwovax.uwo.ca> les@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
| Can anyone lead me to a "C" compiler that supports 32 bit integers for
|386 machines?

Sure; under UNIX all of them do.  (I'm being flippant, I know, but you
didn't specify an OS.)

Seriously, if an advertisement for a compiler mentions 386 support,
it'll do them.  If it doesn't it most likely won't because advertisers
aren't likely to pass up such a feature.  Most of the common compilers
(eg MSC, Turbo C) don't have this support.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (10/24/89)

From article <3949.253dd544@uwovax.uwo.ca>, by les@uwovax.uwo.ca:

>  Can anyone lead me to a "C" compiler that supports 32 bit integers for
> 386 machines?

  It's a better question to ask:

  Can anyone lead me to a "C" compiler that supports 32 bit pointers
with a linear address space and an Optimizer that dosn't create
infinite loops and supports huge arrays with no boundary's and
also supports up to 16 meg of addressing in the protected mode?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

chan@eeserv (Andrew Chan) (10/25/89)

In article <1989Oct21.185658.2287@world.std.com> madd@world.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
>Seriously, if an advertisement for a compiler mentions 386 support,
>it'll do them.  If it doesn't it most likely won't because advertisers
>aren't likely to pass up such a feature.  Most of the common compilers
>(eg MSC, Turbo C) don't have this support.

Check out WATCOM-C (by U of Waterloo), they came up with a C compiler that is
supposed to be tailored for 386's.  I hear that WATCOM-C is really a very fast
and powerful package.  It is just that they are not well known enough.  An
article in Dr. Dobb's Journal last year had a review on various C compilers.
There is also a software house giving up MSC and use Watcom-C instead (they
produce some kind of database package).