[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problems with sys

aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) (10/14/89)

    I'm having some trouble upgrading from PC-DOS 3.1 to MS-DOS 3.3 on
my 386 clone.  When I try to sys my hard drive, I get a 'not enough
room' error.  I suspect that this is because the hidden files are
bigger in 3.3,  but I thought that the hidden dos and bios files no longer
had to be contiguous.

    Any suggestions on how I can do this without reformating my 80 meg
hard drive?

Thanks!

Bill Basden
aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Internet)
pur-ee!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!aj5 (uucp)

wcr@branch.FIDONET.ORG (W.c. Rothanburg) (10/16/89)

In an article of <13 Oct 89 20:59:50 GMT>, aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) writes:

 >    I'm having some trouble upgrading from PC-DOS 3.1 to MS-DOS 3.3 on
 >my 386 clone.  When I try to sys my hard drive, I get a 'not enough
 >room' error.  I suspect that this is because the hidden files are
 >bigger in 3.3,  but I thought that the hidden dos and bios files no
 >longer
 >had to be contiguous.
 >
 >    Any suggestions on how I can do this without reformating my 80 meg
 >hard drive?

I've had bad experiences when trying to use SYS to upgrade to dos 3.3.  The
cluster sizes change and I would always get errors when trying to do it.  You
would be better off backing up your drives and then reformatting.

Bill

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------+
"Out on a Limb in The Branch Office...."                            ]

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (10/16/89)

In article <4495@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) writes:

>    I'm having some trouble upgrading from PC-DOS 3.1 to MS-DOS 3.3 on
>my 386 clone.  When I try to sys my hard drive, I get a 'not enough
>room' error.  I suspect that this is because the hidden files are
>bigger in 3.3,  but I thought that the hidden dos and bios files no longer
>had to be contiguous.
>
>    Any suggestions on how I can do this without reformating my 80 meg
>hard drive?
>

>Thanks!
>
>Bill Basden
>aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Internet)
>pur-ee!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!aj5 (uucp)

This problem is likely due to the fact that you are replacing IBM PCDOS with
some other vendor's MSDOS. If you look at the hidden files in the root directory
of your hard disk you will see two files named IBMBIO.sys and IBMDOS.sys. MSDOS
(not PCDOS) uses different names, usually IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS (depending on
the vendor).

If you sneak in there and change the names of those two files thusly:

  IBMDOS.SYS ==> MSDOS.SYS
  IBMBIO.sys ==>    IO.SYS

then the MSDOS sys command should work just peachy. I would recommend booting from
a floppy before doing this, just for safety's sake. You can do this with the
Norton Utilities or PCTools, for example.

I have recently upgraded an XT from PCDOS 3.10 to PCDOS 3.30 without trouble, but I
do know (having run into it before) that upgrading across-vendors can sometimes
cause this problem.

Good luck!

Fred

peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (J. Christian A. Peper) (10/16/89)

In article aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) writes:
>    I'm having some trouble upgrading from PC-DOS 3.1 to MS-DOS 3.3 on
>my 386 clone.  When I try to sys my hard drive, I get a 'not enough
>room' error.  I suspect that this is because the hidden files are
>bigger in 3.3,  but I thought that the hidden dos and bios files no longer
>had to be contiguous.
>    Any suggestions on how I can do this without reformating my 80 meg
>hard drive?

i had the same problem with a 3.5" disk. even though it said there was
1.2Meg free, I could not do a "c:sys a:".
t gave me the same error msg.

Chris.
--
* PEPER1@PITTVMS.BITNET		peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu      	    *
* Claimer: If it ain't DUTCH, it ain't much!!!!!!		    *

wang@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Eric Wang) (10/17/89)

In article <4495@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) writes:

>    I'm having some trouble upgrading from PC-DOS 3.1 to MS-DOS 3.3 on
>my 386 clone.  When I try to sys my hard drive, I get a 'not enough
>room' error.  I suspect that this is because the hidden files are
>bigger in 3.3,  but I thought that the hidden dos and bios files no longer
>had to be contiguous.
>
>    Any suggestions on how I can do this without reformating my 80 meg
>hard drive?
>

>Thanks!
>
>Bill Basden
>aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Internet)
>pur-ee!mentor.cc.purdue.edu!aj5 (uucp)

Here's a trick that I've used many, many times to upgrade the system files of
DOS du jour WITHOUT reformatting the entire hard disk.  I've used it about 50
times to date, and it hasn't failed me yet.  Briefly, the idea is to delete
one or more file(s) and/or directory(ies) to create a "hole" on the hard disk
above the system files which is large enough to allow the new versions thereof
to be installed.

1.  Find out how much larger the new system files are than the old ones.
    This is the size of the "hole" you will have to create to make room for
    the new system files.  The system files will always be the first two files
    in your root directory.

    Note that you can't simply DIR a system disk to find the size of a system
    file, because files with the HIDDEN attribute on do not appear in DIR
    listings, and the two system files are set to Read-Only, Hidden, and
    System.  There are a number of ways around this limitation:

    a)  Use a more powerful DIR program, e.g. Norton, Mace, PC-Tools, or any
        of a number of available PD & shareware DIR wanna-be's, DOS shells,
        hard disk repair programs, and so on.

    b)  Change the files' attributes to Normal, i.e. remove the R, H, and S
        attributes.  Again, there are many PD & shareware programs that can
        do this.

        After you've done this, the ex-system files become completely normal
        files, and can be DIRed, COPYed, archived, deleted, and otherwise
        manipulated as a normal file.  However, they will no longer boot DOS,
        either, even if they are in the right place (see item 3).  You have
        to set them back to RHS (or ARHS, take your pick) for them to regain
        their "system file" status.

    Once you have the sizes of the system files, calculate the amount of
    extra space you need.  Here, you can't simply subtract the sum of the
    file sizes, since file sizes must be rounded up to the next full cluster.
    Your cluster size is a function of your hard disk.  If you used method (a)
    above, you probably know your cluster size.  If not, figure 2048 bytes
    per 32 MB of hard disk, i.e. a 65 MB hard disk would have 4K clusters,
    and an 80MB hard disk would have either 6K or 8K clusters (probably 8k).
    Don't worry about being exact.  If you're not sure, just assume 8K or so.
    All this means is that you might end up deleting a few more files to create
    a hole that is slightly larger than it had to be.  It's still easier than
    reformatting the entire disk.

    To calculate the hole size,

    1)  round the sizes of the old and new IBMBIO.COM files up to the next
        cluster.
    2)  Subtract the old size from the new size.
    3)  Repeat (1) and (2) for IBMDOS.COM.
    4)  Add the two results.

    Shit, I'm starting to sound like a textbook.

2.  Get a FAT-level listing of your hard disk, beginning at cluster 0000.  By
    this, I mean you have to somehow get a listing of the files and/or
    directories on your hard disk based on FAT cluster, not directory tree.
    There are many disk utilities that can do this, e.g. Norton, Mace,
    PC-Tools, and so on.  It really helps to have file sizes included in the
    listing (see step 2).

3.  The first two files on your hard disk must be the two system files
    IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM, in that order.  As of DOS 3.3 and 4.01,
    they still have to be contiguous, i.e. not fragmented.  IBMBIO.COM
    should start at cluster 0002.

4.  Find and note the first entry (or entries), be they files or directories,
    which follow IMMEDIATELY after the two system files.  Add up the sizes of
    these entries in consecutive order until the total exceeds the size of the
    hole which you calculated in step 1, then stop.  The entries counted are
    the ones which must be moved elsewhere to create the hole.

5.  Before you create the hole, save any of the entries found in step 4 that
    you still want to keep around.

    Files can be COPYed to new names.  It's not even necessary to
    copy them to new directories; just give the copies temporary names
    to avoid naming conflicts.  Note that you must actually do a COPY
    to create a duplicate image of the file; you can't simply MOV or mv
    it.

    Directories are more troublesome.  Again, you have to duplicate them by
    MDing a new directory with a temporary name.  Note that it's the directory
    itself that you're trying to kill, not the contents of the directory
    (unless they, too, were found in step 4).  If the contents of the
    directory weren't part of the hole, they can be MOVEd by a variety of
    utility programs into the new directory; otherwise, they must be COPYed,
    as described for files.  If you have XCOPY in DOS 3.1, use it; it can
    copy an entire directory tree recursively to another directory.

6.  Now create the hole by deleting all of the files and removing all of the
    directories found in step 4.  Their space on the hard disk is now returned
    to the DOS "free pool".

    You should now have a contiguous hole of unused file clusters adjacent to
    the system files, ready to be used.

7.  Now try the following steps to transfer the new system files:

    a)  SYS your hard disk.  There's room in the FAT for the new, larger
        system files, so this should work.

    b)  If that didn't work, try this:
        Set the old system files on your hard disk to Normal attributes,
        then delete them.  Try SYS again.

    c)  If that still doesn't work, simulate SYS manually.  Do this:
        Make a bootable DOS disk with the 3.3 system files on it.  (This is
            just for protection, so that you don't screw up your 3.3 master
            boot disk.)
        Set the new system files on this bootable disk to Normal attributes.
        COPY the new system files into the root directory of your hard disk.
        Verify with your FAT lister that the system files have gone to
            the right place, which is at the very beginning of the FAT.
            If they didn't, continue as if they did, then proceed to (d).
        Reset the system files on your hard disk to RHS.

    d)  SYS your hard disk one more time.

    The new system files should now be in the proper place, with the proper
    attributes, i.e. they should work OK.

8.  Finally, clean up the mess you created in step 5 by renaming files &
    directories, etc., to whatever you want to call them.

This is the procedure I've used in the past, with much success.  One thing
that I do now as a matter of course that you might consider is to create
and maintain a "system file buffer" file, which is simply a blank file about
30K large which lies contiguous with the two system files.  Whenever I have
to upgrade, I simply delete this buffer file, install the new system files,
then re-create the buffer file in what remains of the hole.  Of course, it
gets fragmented, since the hole has shrunk somewhat.  This is not a problem,
though; I simply run a disk defragmenter (Vopt), and it rearranges everything
all nice and neat and contiguous again, ready for the next release of DOS.

May you find this information to be useful.  If you have any questions,
comments, flames, or cash donations, you may reach me at wang@cs.uiuc.edu.

Eric Wang
wang@cs.uiuc.edu

jec@nesac2.att.com (John Carter ATLN SADM) (10/24/89)

In article <20028@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (J. Christian A. Peper) writes:
] In article aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) writes:
] ]    I'm having some trouble upgrading from PC-DOS 3.1 to MS-DOS 3.3 on
] ]my 386 clone.  When I try to sys my hard drive, I get a 'not enough
] ]room' error.  I suspect that this is because the hidden files are
] ]bigger in 3.3,  but I thought that the hidden dos and bios files no longer
] ]had to be contiguous.
] ]    Any suggestions on how I can do this without reformating my 80 meg
] ]hard drive?
]
] i had the same problem with a 3.5" disk. even though it said there was
] 1.2Meg free, I could not do a "c:sys a:".
] t gave me the same error msg.
]
] Chris.
] --
] * PEPER1@PITTVMS.BITNET		peper1@unix.cis.pitt.edu      	    *

Floppies will NOT accept the system if the volume label is put on during
formatting and the 'sys' command is run later (AT&T MS-DOS 3.2).
Haven't encountered this with a hard disk, but maybe if you delete the volume
label and then try copying the system ?????

Of course, you can always do it the long way - I backup and low level format
the 10 meg hard disk on the machine at home about every 6-8 months, so that's
what I usually do for a DOS upgrade.  The machine was used when I got it two
and half years ago and it's still running OK, so I think this is a worthwhile
investment of time.
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, 401 W. Peachtree, FLOC 2932-6, Atlanta GA 30308
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec   ...attmail!jecarter    Voice: 404+581-6239

wsinrn@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Rob J. Nauta) (10/25/89)

Upgrading dos with sys is never easy. Sometimes the files have different
names (io.sys, msdos.sys vs ibmbio.sys, ibmdos.sys), or different sizes.
You don't have to back up, format and restore, or edit the fat by hand,
however.
- Delete the volume label, just in case
- Delete the 2 hidden files (but keep a boot-floppy of both versions)
- Use the norton utilities to make a disk bootable, there is a way to
  transfer the new version to a disk, where files that are in the way will
  be moved

You don't have to follow these steps, the normal way works too, but make
sure you have booted the NEW version, and are using the NEW sys program,
booting from the hd and using the old sys won't work/...

Rob

marocchi@cell.mot.COM (Jim Marocchi) (10/26/89)

One other method to easily upgrade versions of DOS is to
create two (or more if you have the need) partitons on
your hard drive. Make the c: partition small (I've got
~500KB), and place only the DOS system files into that
partiton. The c: partiton then is the bootable partition
with the d: partition your user area. The advantage with
this approach is having the ability to easily and quickly
re-format the c: partiton (with new DOS) and not disturb
the remainder of your data and program area.