[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS video utility

fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) (10/24/89)

I am looking for a utility that will tell me what level of video I have
in my PC (CGA,EGA,VGA). In additon, I would also like an opinion (from the
software) as to the nature of the video board in the backplane. Does something
like this exist already?

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (10/25/89)

In article <2937@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU> fsimmons@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Frank Simmons) writes:
>I am looking for a utility that will tell me what level of video I have
>in my PC (CGA,EGA,VGA). In additon, I would also like an opinion (from the
>software) as to the nature of the video board in the backplane. Does something
>like this exist already?

I don't know of a specific program to tell  you this, but you might check out
some issues of `Dr. Dobbs Journal from earlier this year. There were a couple
of them in which articles by either Jeff Duntemann or oh darn I forget the name,
but the guy who died recently who wrote the graphics column(oh yeah, Kent Porter)
described an algorithm and gave some Pascal (or mayhbe Modula) for determining
what kind of video adapter is on board, and in some cases whether or not it
has a monochorme tube tied to it.

Check it out--very good piece of detective work.

Fred

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/26/89)

> I am looking for a utility that will tell me what level of video I have
> in my PC (CGA,EGA,VGA).

I believe that Central Point S/W's PCTools (PCShell) allows you to see
all kinds of information about your machine.  One of the things it
reports is whether you have CGA, EGA, and I believe VGA.  As to the
manufacturer of the board (/attributes of the board), I don't think
that info is provided.
Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.