[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sticky Keys Program

dfarley@wpi.wpi.edu (Donald L Farley) (10/23/89)

I am looking for a DOS utility program (probably TRS) that makes the <Alt>,
<Shift>, and/or <Ctrl> keys "sticky" --- that is, pressing the key once
activates and locks the key (as if you are holding the key down) and pressing
the key again deactivates it.  The motivation for finding this program is to
help a quadriplegic, who can only press one key at a time, do <Alt><F2>
commands and the like.  He and I would appreciate any help in this matter.  My
Internet address is dfarley@wpi.wpi.edu and my BITNET address is
dfarley@wpi.bitnet.

gjs@inmet (10/23/89)

> I am looking for a DOS utility program (probably TRS) that makes the
> <Alt>, <Shift>, and/or <Ctrl> keys "sticky" ...

ProKey (from RoseSoft) has options for exactly this purpose.  I think
Borland's SuperKey has a similar function.  You might also check other
keyboard macro/redefinition packages, such as QuickKey.

-- George Snyder               From usenet:  uunet!inmet!gjs
-- Intermetrics, Inc.          From DDN:     gjs@inmet.inmet.com

griesel@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Curtis W. Griesel) (10/24/89)

In article <4966@wpi.wpi.edu> dfarley@wpi.wpi.edu (Donald L Farley) writes:
>I am looking for a DOS utility program (probably TRS) that makes the <Alt>,
><Shift>, and/or <Ctrl> keys "sticky" --- that is, pressing the key once
>activates and locks the key (as if you are holding the key down) and pressing
>the key again deactivates it.

We use a public domain product called STICKEY available from

C-CAD
Suite 100
2501 Avenue J
Arlington TX 76006
(817)640-6613

I'm sure other similar products abound.

As a footnote, for further discussion about access issues in computing,
check out the "misc.handicap" newsgroup and the "comp.cog-eng" newsgroup.
Such discussion is certainly appropriate, but some of discussions in those
groups may also be helpful.
--
Curtis W. Griesel
EQUAL Project (EQuipment for Universal Access to Learning), U of Minnesota

royf@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Roy Frederick) (10/25/89)

In article <4966@wpi.wpi.edu>, dfarley@wpi.wpi.edu (Donald L Farley) writes:
> I am looking for a DOS utility program (probably TRS) that makes the <Alt>,
> <Shift>, and/or <Ctrl> keys "sticky" --- that is, pressing the key once

Such a utility was published in PC Magazine in the the April 26,
1988 issue.  I have mailed you a copy - let me know if you dont get it.
It is also available on many BBS's as VOL7N8.  I'm sure it is on PC
Mag-net.

Roy Frederick (royf@attctc.UUCP)
Dallas County Data Services  (214) 653-6340
504 Records Bldg.
Dallas, TX 75202

william.pipher@canremote.uucp (WILLIAM PIPHER) (10/26/89)

To: dfarley@wpi.wpi.edu

du>I am looking for a DOS utility program (probably TRS) that makes the
<Alt>, <Shift>, and/or <Ctrl> keys "sticky" --- that is, pressing the
du>key once  activates and locks the key (as if you are holding the key

PC magazine did one of their utility features on this kind of thing
sometime within the last 2 years.  Sorry, don't know when, and did'nt
save the issue.

*WmP*
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a12 #3744  william.pipher@canremote